Bonaire 'survival' advice please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divi Flamingo Has a great Buffet breakfast. Its $20 around per person. A bit much for every day but I would suggest it for a few meals.

Thanks everyone. I was bit hesitant about going shopping for food, preparing meals etc because it takes-up valuable holiday time. I know that there is a kitchenette attached to my room in Blachi Koko but am not sure if "well stocked" includes a fridge, electric kettle and a microwave.

I guess I get bare necessities like fruit, bread, milk, eggs, cereals and fruit juice for breakfasts and eat out for the other meals. If there are restaurants that close, then I should be OK.

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to all. :)

Thanks everyone. I was bit hesitant about going shopping for food, preparing meals etc because it takes-up valuable holiday time. I know that there is a kitchenette attached to my room in Blachi Koko but am not sure if "well stocked" includes a fridge, electric kettle and a microwave. I guess I get bare necessities like fruit, bread, milk, eggs, cereals and fruit juice for breakfasts and eat out for the other meals. If there are restaurants that close, then I should be OK...

Hey, it's your vacation and you should spend the time the way that you want - but I personally think preparing a few light meals at home is quicker and gives me more time to enjoy this lovely island and its reefs. The first time we visited Bonaire we stayed in a hotel room and ate out for all meals. We thought it was expensive and wasted too much time. After that we always booked a kitchenette or apartment and prepared some of our meals. Again that was our decision but you certainly may prefer other options.

Below is information from the FAQ at your apartment's web site - so it looks like you are all set, no matter what you decide to do about meals. Have fun!

What should I not bring?
Blachi Koko Apartments will provide you with linen and towels. We provide sheets, blankets and extra pillows in all the bedrooms. We provide towels as well as beach towels. The kitchen is fully equipped: kitchen towel, full range refrigerator, microwave/oven combination, stove, coffeemaker, toaster and complete cooking supplies and utensils.

We learned a lesson on an earlier trip. We thought we were getting bad service at a restaurant but local custom is to leave customers alone. If you want something, or the bill, politely get the wait staff's attention and all will be good.

Take some shopping bags with you for trips to the grocery store. They don't necessarily provide them.

Thanks Kathy V. I guess if there is a microwave, I can get some "ready meals", assuming those are available in the Bonaire supermarkets. That way, I could eat breakfast and a quick lunch in house and only go out for dinner after all dives for the day (and night) are over.

I know my concerns and questions might seem silly to some but please bear in mind that I am (very) primarily a liveaboard diver where practically the only things you do for yourself are kit-up and check the gear before each dive.

Find the Van den Tweel equivalent - 3 minutes in the Microwave...
Jimmy Dean | Products

Attachments

• sausage-egg-cheese-muffin-sandwiches.jpg
    sausage-egg-cheese-muffin-sandwiches.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 212
We really enjoyed making a few meals at home during the week. We didn't do anything too involved, just pasta and tacos, but it was generally quicker than eating at a restaurant. Most of our dinners took around 2 hours at a restaurant and lunch was at least an hour, even with trying to flag down the waitress to order then get the bill. Van den Tweel has some excellent fresh pasta that cooked up in 2-3 minutes!

I used my trip to Bonaire last June to lose weight (10# in 12 days). Stayed at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn and ate healthy by purchasing from local markets. Fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. No stove but I did have a fridge and a microwave. Did have dinner at restaurants twice. Unfortunately I gained the weight back while editing the video footage I shot down there!

My friends and I make most of our meals and eat out only a couple of times during a week stay on Bonaire. We rotate cooking duty, and over the years each of us has developed a specialty. When my wife and I come up to bat, we do either Indian curry or spaghetti bolognese. Another guy is all about Indonesian food--satays on the grill, fried rice, etc. Another guy likes to grill meat, and some of us have been known to bring frozen Prime ribeyes from Costco in their baggage. There is usually someone cooking a solid bacon-and-eggs sort of breakfast, though leftovers from dinner are popular, too. We usually stop by our rental house for lunch and make sandwiches with cold cuts from Van den Tweel (we buy a kilo of each item on the first day and it lasts a week).

Weight loss during our Bonaire trips is pretty much unheard of. I didn't even mention the scary amount of Amstel consumed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom