Bonaire Trip Report & Intro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! That was a really great trip report!

(even though I am super depressed...our trip was 3 weeks ago :()

Yea, the mosquitos were insane. I was spraying myself at night because there always seemed to be 1 or 2 dive bombing my head while laying in bed. We were getting in soo late and having to hang gear....was hard to keep them out.

I liked your giant stride pic!!

nice trip report. Just so you know, I think your "grouper" was a Cubera Snapper.

Thanks, DiverKKC; very good to know. I've seen plenty of yellow-tailed snappers, but I'm not familiar with the snappers, and 'grouper' was the closest thing I could think of when I saw this fish, given it's size. Aside from the size it reminded me a bit of a school master or some sort of grunt (I saw more blue-striped grunts this trip than last, I think), but the size difference was so prominent. I googled the Cubera Snapper you noted and I see they can get very large.

Richard.

You're welcome, Richard. The same thing happened to me on my first trip to Bonaire. I was doing a night dive on the Front Porch tugboat, and descended to see a very large grouper-like fish at the bow that stayed with us the whole dive. It looked between 4 and 5 feet long, had a slight copper-tinge to it with pale vertical barring, thick lips and visible teeth.

When i surfaced I told a dive buddy, an experienced dive master, it looked like a snapper but didn't think they got that big. He corrected me and told me it was a very large Cubera Snapper, the biggest he had ever seen. I've seen quite a few since, but none that size (or even close).

That was my 3rd night dive, quite a treat.

Heading back to Bonaire in June. I think I'll hit that night dive again, just for the memories :)

nice trip report. Just so you know, I think your "grouper" was a Cubera Snapper.

Did you see the Cubera Snapper at Capt Don's Reef? We were there 3 weeks ago and on our first day we saw a group of 3 and then a short while later saw 2 more. It was the only dive that we saw them and it was our orientation dive and did not have our camera with us so no lasting memories. Oh well, I guess that is excuse #47 as to why we need to return.

Excuse for return list (in progress)
#1 see Kenny & Margaret again at Coral Paradise Resort
#2 dive Hilma Hooker (I was a wimp and afraid of the entry)
#3 tour Washington Slagbaai Park (ran out of time)
#4 collect some of the 1 cent and 5 cent Guilders to make into buttons for a shirt.
#5 improve my underwater photography

to be continued later . . . .

Did you see the Cubera Snapper at Capt Don's Reef? We were there 3 weeks ago and on our first day we saw a group of 3 and then a short while later saw 2 more. It was the only dive that we saw them and it was our orientation dive and did not have our camera with us so no lasting memories. Oh well, I guess that is excuse #47 as to why we need to return.

#4 collect some of the 1 cent and 5 cent Guilders to make into buttons for a shirt.

#6 Go to Pizza place :D

The huge one was on the Front Porch tug (at night), but that was a couple of years ago. I saw a few smaller ones at other sites, but forget which. I had no camera, of course :depressed:

#7. UV Night Dive

#8 Subsidize trip by carrying other divers gear up and down 10,000 steps for $

#9 Watch Sun come up over Hilma Hooker

Wow!! You really have to go back!! You should take me with you.....

Back
Top Bottom