Bonaire Truck purchase questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vann evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking forward to being able to spend more time in Bonaire in the near future. We have calculated the cost of rental vehicles and think that purchasing a used truck may make sense in the long run. We have done some preliminary investigation as to cost, storage, insurance, licensing, etc. We would love to hear from anyone who has done the same. We would also appreciate any leads or ideas as to where to look for a used truck that is not an ex-rental (we feel they are probably abused and too risky perhaps??)

Please email me privately or respond to this post if you have ideas , suggestions or information.

Thanks

Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

I can't help you on this, but I wanted to say Hi. We met at Sand Dollar this fall when you saw the manta ray. I hope all is well.

There may be a price difference between leasing and and renting, so check that first. Importing a vehicle you already have may be an option. Though you definitely want to get a model that can be serviced on the island.

Googled the question, here you go:

Automobile dealers -new cars-, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles / Yellowpages-Caribbean.com

Another piece from Sunbelt Realty, dealing with importing your own vehicle:
Sunbelt Realty - Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles. bonaire, bonaire real estate, Home for sale Bonaire, caribbean, makelaar, makelaar bonaire, bonaire homes, koop, koop bonaire, sunbelt, corine, corine van der hout, bonaire rentals, bonaire land, real

The Car

There are several car dealers on the island: Mitsubishi, Nissan, Suzuki, Kia and Toyota. If a resident imports household goods within the given time-frame you can import one (1) car duty free as long as it has been in your name for at least 1 year before you left the States or the Netherlands. It must be your private car and not registered in a company name. You can prove this with the car registration. When the car has been in your name for less than 1 year, you have to pay an import duty of approx. 45% plus the 5% sales tax.

Don't forget that a L.P.G. gas filling station is not available on the island. Only petrol/gasoline is available (regular and lead free), as is diesel fuel.

Car registration: Liability insurance is compulsory. The tax receiver of the island gives you a number, a taxpayer's number which is connected to the road tax. For a private car, this will be about US$ 140.- a year. With your tax number, you go to an insurance company. To get your car insured, you need a driver's license and your no-claim certificate, if applicable. The insurance company of your choice will accept the no-claim certificate of your last insurance company.

License Plates - with your registration and your insurance policy, go to the island tax receiver where you will receive your Bonaire license plates. The plates cost US$ 7.- for a vehicle or US$ 5.- for a scooter or motorbike.

We are looking forward to being able to spend more time in Bonaire in the near future. We have calculated the cost of rental vehicles and think that purchasing a used truck may make sense in the long run. We have done some preliminary investigation as to cost, storage, insurance, licensing, etc. We would love to hear from anyone who has done the same. We would also appreciate any leads or ideas as to where to look for a used truck that is not an ex-rental (we feel they are probably abused and too risky perhaps??)

Please email me privately or respond to this post if you have ideas , suggestions or information.

Thanks

Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

That's an interesting idea. Please post anything you find. Maybe you can start your own truck time share business.

thanks for all of the info/ideas. We will be in bonaire next week until March 5. We'll let you know what we find out. We have been doing research.

We have been in touch with the local Toyota dealer(Ackerman). they will pick you up and take you to the airport and store your vehicle for $55/month. Insurance seems to be about $200-300 per year depending on the age/model. We are not looking for a new vehicle(hence no lease), but a used 4 door pickup for diving. We have contacted all of the rental companies to see if they sell used rental trucks-not really sure I want one, but will check them out. Most Bonaire rental fleets are turned over after 3 years in service, so there are trucks available like that. Will have to find out more about the private market resales situation. I have watched the Bonaire Reporter, but seldom have ads for used vehicles. Most of the ads seem to be on bulletin boards at Cultimara and other places.
More later
Vann Evans
Sand Dolar A4

Back
Top Bottom