Bonaire's Wild Side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
WOW!!! No other way to describe it. I know there are two ways to do the Wild Side, Larry's and a shore dive. I went the shore dive route with Bart from Wannadive, others went with Larry.

They say this is an "expert" dive. What they are really looking for is good air consumption so that you can get a full dive in. If one diver is an air hog, the dive will end early for everyone.

So, we start off in 20 ft of viz as we swim out the channel. Head over to some small coral heads with some Cubera snappers, then on to the "white hole" where there was layer after layer after layer of tarpon. A guess....how about 100 of 'em. Then we swim out of the hole and over a small ridge into the clear blue.

As we swim along, from behind we are passed by a flock(?) of 10 eagle rays. Then 8 more, which splits into two groups. One flies away, the other 4 stay with us, doing banked 360 turns when they get ahead of us. Then another group of 3 cruise by.

We are also treated to a big green moray (the only one seen on this trip), and several turtles. It was one of the best dives I have ever had....all 69 minutes of it.

Part of the larger group I was diving with went with Larry's the same day and time. They saw more green morays and fewer spotted eagles in much smaller groupings. It's all the luck of the draw, I guess.

If you have the chance, it is well worth the expense. The best part of doing the shore dive is I made notes so that next time I'll be able to do the dive without assistance.

Sounds like a great dive. I didn't know you could do the "wild side" as a shore dive. Is it marked with a stone like all the other dive sites? Please do share your notes. I'll be there in less than 2 months and would love to try it.

Tx.
WW

No yellow stone here. You take the dirt road to Cai. Past the flamingos. At the end will be a small parking lot right at the channel from the bay to the ocean.

Your best bet is to hire Bart the first time. The best $45 you'll ever spend on a dive.

I'm not comfortable sharing my notes with anyone who hasn't done the dive. I know I wouldn't try it based on someone else's notes. I have too many mental pictures that I will navigate by, and it wouldn't be easy to put them into words.

Here's something to whet your appetite!

YouTube - Bonaire's Wild Side

I have done that dive and it was a dud!
Others have done it and there was a humpback whale in the white hole.

All luck of the draw!!!

Larry's Wildside diving was fantastic! No other words for it. Well worth the cost. Don't miss the opportunity.

That looks like a spectacular dive. I dove Baby's Beach during Omar because the Wild Side was calmer than the other. It was a great dive but challenging entry with the waves. I did not do the dive you did because we were unguided. I agree with all....every dive is the luck of the draw with respect to what each diver sees. I have been on dives snapping pictures and missed a huge moray free swimming just over me....my dive buddy saw it but I was occupied with the shot.

Sounds like a great dive. I didn't know you could do the "wild side" as a shore dive. Is it marked with a stone like all the other dive sites? Please do share your notes. I'll be there in less than 2 months and would love to try it.

Tx.
WW

I drew a map using Google Earth that I can send you. It shows the location, the dive route, and some important notes. PM me your email addy and I will be happy to send it to you.

They day I did it, the surge was very strong. I was feeling sick on the safety stop. Depending on the conditions, this one isn't for those with a weak stomach.

If I try it again with Larry, I will definitely take the sea sickness meds beforehand.

I'm with you, fantastic dive, there were a ton of tarpon in the white hole and they seemed to loom up out of the poor viz like ghosts, it was pretty creepy. The viz cleared up on the reef, though, but we only saw 10 eagle ray ;o) I ran out of air just as we arrived back at the trucks, first time I've ever cut it so close, but we were shallow for the last 10 mins so I could have surfaced. It's a definite for the next trip.

Wildside is an awesome dive but the currents can be very very strong and there can be a bad surface current there as well. Dive guide is the safest way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom