Book Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sb_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations, preferably SCUBA/maritime related. Whenever I’m not in the water I really like to read so I’m looking for some more books about diving and the ocean. I’ve got these so far and I liked them all.

***Robert Kurson – Shadow Divers
-Bernie Chowdury – The Last Dive
-Tim Ecott – Neutral Buoyancy
***Daniel Lenihan – Submerged: Adventures of America’s Most Elite Underwater Archaeology Team
-Humberto Fontova – The Helldiver’s Rodeo
-Kitrell – Down Time
***Alfred H. Hanson and Norma J. Hanson – More Than Nine Lives
Peter Maas – The Terrible Hours
***Nathaniel Philbrick – In the Heart of the Sea
-Dr. Milton Love – Probably More Than You Want To Know About the Fishes Of The Pacific Coast (this is more of a fish guide, but its so funny you gotta read it)
-Jon Krakauer – Into Thin Air (Not really diving related but still a good read)

*** I highly recommend, just my humble opinion though.

Thomas

sb_diver:
I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations, preferably SCUBA/maritime related.
Thomas

I've read all those myself. The one I've read most recently that I didn't see listed was Down Time: Great Writers on Diving by Ed, Casey and Jim Kitrell. It features several writers (such as Dave Barry, Michael Crichton, Peter Benchley plus many more) talking about scuba.

One of the stories, which was about a hurt dolphin, is the one that got me interested in diving. I can't remember the author right now.

Also, even if you're not DIR, I'd recommending DIR:Fundamentals by Jarrod Jablonski. Even if you don't go with the system, you may learn something.

I just got done reading the following:

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley

The Cave Divers by Robert F. Burgess

Both are true stories and tells stories of cave diving and deep diving from the early beginnings til now.

Also on my list to read is:

Taming of the Slough. Not sure of the author, I think Sheck started it maybe, its kinda like the history of Peaock Springs in cave country.

And I am about to re-read the DIR: Fundamentals to better Diving book.

Hey Kriterian, I'm actually planning on getting the DIR: Fundamentals book, I'm not DIR.. yet, who knows maybe some day. I thought I put Down Time in the list, I just read it too, Dave Barry's story was great.

Thomas

Stars Beneath the Sea - Trevor Norton
Explorations - Robert D. Ballard
Epics of Salvage - David Masters
Marine Salvage - Joseph N. Gores
The Sea Hunters - Clive Cussler
The Sea Hunters II - Clive Cussler

I also like "Fatal Depth" by Joe Haberstroh. Many do not like it due to technical errors, but I found more to disagree with in "The Last Dive."

Right now I am finishing up The Last Dive. So far, I am finding it an interesting read. It keeps my interest because of the diving. It does repeat itself quite a bit, though. Of course I read my PADI books (practically memorized them) getting started. Now I just want more... I am ready to learn!

Heart of the Sea was indeed a good book, as is Down Time.

For a historical tale of sail, avarice, and the Pacific, try Nathaniel's Nutmeg by Giles Milton.

My favorite water-related book is Ship Fever by Andrea Barrett - short stories on historical natural history themes (Wallace and Linnaeus, to name two).

Fin on,
Bryan

Oh, and for new divers I can recommend two small diving-related books with plenty of good tips in them, from Best Publishing: Beating the Bends by Alex Brylske, and Dive Like a Pro by Robert Rossier.

Dive like a pro is an great book to tune up with. The dolphin story in Down time sounded kinda made up to me, but it could be true. Who knows? Good book either way.

Back
Top Bottom