Booked my flights to bonaire!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pushc6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I'm one step closer. Will be getting into bonaire on 1/2 and leaving 1/9. Now I'm onto hopefully the last step, determining where to stay. I was thinking buddy dive resort but I've heard some voices of discontent about them. Has anyone stayed there recently and can recommend a place? I was looking at places that had easy access to the water. Buddy Dive was nice because they have a pier right there. Anyone make some recommendations who has been there recently?

i am on my way there for the 3rd time, We satyed at Buddy before, it was fine. Are you working on a budget? Look into the Golden reef inn. Ed and Liz that run it are awesome people, you can stay for 500.00$ for the week. truck, nitrox, stay free demo of wifi, rumpunch party on Monday. Liz is also a hyperbaric chamber nurse! Gibby will cook you a breakfast in the mornings that you will die fro. Your dive pkg is with wanna dive bart and the gang are cool. real layed back. We go in 22days for a month , let me know what you come up with .

I stayed at the Belmar on my last trip....
My wife (Non-diver) really liked it.

Our preference is Den Laman but for the island it is not budget accomodations.
The diving out front is second to none.

The diving out front of the Belmar is so so.

Here are some of the places to look at. All except for GRI are on the water - as expected you pay more for that.
All have an affiliated diveop onsite. And a dive dock or easy shore entry.
(roughly North -> South)

Northern dive resorts:

Capt. Don's Habitat
Buddy Dive
Sand Dollar condos - share Bonaire Dive/Adventure with Den Laman next door.
Den Laman condos
Eden Beach resort
Golden Reef Inn - affordable rooms/apts. a short distance from the water. dvrliz1 here owns it.
Harbour Village resort - posh.
The above are north of town - not walking distance.

"In town" dive resorts:
Divi Flamingo
Bruce Bowkers Carib Inn

above are walking distance to downtown.

Plaza Resort - a longish (mile+?) walk to downtown. It's a pretty sprawling resort, 18Palms divesite is on the north, diveop/boats are to the south. They move tanks there with a golf cart if that's any indication.

Condo resorts in Belnem, south of the airport:
BelMar condos - the other Buddy dive location - we stayed here, it's newer, quiet, great sunset views, decent house reef offshore but absolutely no beach it's on ironshore. It's a dive you'll do once on your BMP orientation dive then probably go elsewhere. It's not that bad but there's so much better 5mins. to the south. (The Hooker, Invisibles, Angel City, Salt Pier (if open) Vista Blue, etc.
Bellevue Beach condos - onsite dive services but no diveshop afaik. Divervince here rents his condo there. It would one I'd consider next time. google vinibu if interested

It's a quiet residential area but any food is a 5-10min. drive to town.

And there's at least a dozen more I'm forgetting.

The thing about Bonaire is that you'll mostly be driving to the better shoredives either north or south of these areas. Most of the really good dives are 5mins. south of Belnem or 5-15 mins. north of Habitat.

What's pretty convenient is the drive-thru tank pickup at Buddy Dive. Others that are almost as convenient (that I'm aware of) are at the Plaza, BelMar, or (I think) Wannadive at Eden Beach.

If you stay at BelMar, you can use the Buddy Dive facilities also. Personally Buddy was a little too spread out for me, esp. if you're in the north condos, they used to be a separate resort (Lion's Dive) so the Buddy diveshop is all the way across both resorts to the south. It's not a terribly long walk as they're both oriented perpendicular to the shore but something to consider. The better restaurant is on the other property also. Most people who stay there like Buddy's - some friends did.

I find Captain Don's good and have stayed there on a couple of trips. Things may have changed since I was last there though (4 years). Have a great trip!

Yeah, my LDS recommended Buddy Dive but the last time they had gone there was 4 years ago. I did a search on here and read a couple of bad reviews, but I don't know if those are a bunch of negative nancies expecting the world or what. Buddy dive on paper looks great to me as do a lot of places, I'm looking for peoples personal experiences within the last few months.

Buddy's is a HUGE resort. I don't know how many multi-story building there are, but it has to exceed a dozen. If you like a large resort, with lots of people, this might work for you.

I have stayed at Eden Beach 5 times in the last 3 years. This is the place that gives the dive club I go with the best overall prices. I don't have any idea if renting a single unit is significantly more (it was when I checked last January). I have stayed twice at Golden Reef Inn when I didn't travel with the club. I can recommend either. As mentioned, Golden Reef Inn is not on the water, but a short distance. You'll probably be shore diving, so that should matter as you'll be going to your truck anyway. Both Eden Beach and Golden Reef Inn use WannaDive as their dive op. A top notch and very fun group of people.

Many tout Buddy's "drive-thru" fill station, but the times I've been there the trucks were backed up wait in line. I don't find it that hard to park the truck, and walk 50-ft and carry my own tanks back to the truck. YMMV.

One thing that is hard to argue, Buddies has a very good marketing program, and many of the dive shops as well as individuals use them because if it. But, that alone isn't a good reason to use them when there are many others on island.

I am on my way to Buddy Dive next Saturday with a group of six. I have stayed there 4 times prior and have been happy with most everything, every time, sure there are times when you have to wait a bit at the front counter for check-in, or perhaps the truck isn't ready right away< but I have been overall happy with them. They give a nice rate for all that is included with the three room apartment. The house reef is great and very convenient, and the drive through has been very handy especially at the end of the trip when doing your final rinse of all your gear. I know some people have bashed Buddy recently, but perhaps that old saying "you catch more bees with honey" might go along way with the right people. Smile and be happy.

I am on my way to Buddy Dive next Saturday with a group of six. I have stayed there 4 times prior and have been happy with most everything, every time, sure there are times when you have to wait a bit at the front counter for check-in, or perhaps the truck isn't ready right away< but I have been overall happy with them. They give a nice rate for all that is included with the three room apartment. The house reef is great and very convenient, and the drive through has been very handy especially at the end of the trip when doing your final rinse of all your gear. I know some people have bashed Buddy recently, but perhaps that old saying "you catch more bees with honey" might go along way with the right people. Smile and be happy.

I have stayed there many many times.Its like a second home to us. I have taken groups as small as 9 people to as large as 32.The resort is not that large as another poster put up.. Does not matter what unit you are in ,its no more than a 30 second walk to 90 second walk to the dive dock. There are maybe 5 structures on the Buddy side of the property and they consist of either hotel rooms-studios-1 bedroom-2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units.The old Lions inn side has older 1 level units.Never felt crowded there,as I felt at the Plaza or Flamingo.Last time there was last May and we are going back again very soon.

Was there in September and taking a group back the 12th of Dec 2009! It's all relative some people are never happy and sometimes thing never go right???? So I like the Dive set up at Buddy! The on site Eats aren't the best I have had, but I am not there for the food! The Lions Den has treated me well and it has been good food convenient and they have seated us without reservations a couple times when plans changed! The Photo Pro shop was well equipped, but the personality of the owner/manager is a little rough kind of "Been here too long seen too many underrated Divers" kinda attitude that is understandable, but not that great for the long haul! Now I will be there for the end of Ocean Feast and I will check his attitude, it might have just been a bad week? He did help me trying to find an Allen Wrench to tighten a bolt, but I was surprised no one had one? So can you find fault? Yes with every operation in the world! I am going back and have no problem doing so! They do know what they are there for and do a good job getting a lot of people into the water for what can be a great Dive vacation!

I will say this it can't be any smoother for a first timer to Bonaire than Buddy Dive tries to make it! Do it first and figure out where you want to come back to if you decide to return! Have a great trip and I am sure you will be a Bonaire convert!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom