Bora Bora Tahiti - ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milktrayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard good stories about Bora Bora as one of the world top destinations for scuba diving... can anyone who has dived there let me know if its as good as it sounds? I want to plan a diving holiday and am looking at a few spots, of which tahiti is one of them..

Anthony

Bora Bora is definitely among the most beautiful settings for diving. As far as being a top destination? Depends on what you're looking for. Not the most beautiful reef scenics (in my mind hard coral isn't as spectacular as the soft corals in Fiji for example). Good bio diversity, lots of neat critters, and definitely if you're looking for the big boys (sharks, mantas) it has those in abundance. Absolutely beautiful island and lagoon. Ranks among my favorite dive locations (though in all honesty, for all around diving/scenery/lifestyle I might like Moorea in French Polynesia better).

Also if it matters to you, one of the most romantic destinations you could hope for.

By the way, I heard that food is really expensive in that area. Is this true, and what are we looking at? Costco has packages at round $2K per person including air and 7 nights but not food.

Bora Bora is very nice. I spent 4 days there and 4 days in Moorea. It is very remote. We stayed at Le Meridian on Bora Bora and we had to take a boat to the main island to go out to diner or something. It is very expensive. The diving is very good if you like big animals. On Bora Bora, you have to do the manta ray dive. On Moorrea (if you go) they have the shark dives and feedings.

We vacationed in FP this past summer (Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa) and we did not find it "expensive", at least compared to eating out in LA. We found that most restaurant dishes were the equivalent of $17 to $28 US per person. Wine was $25-35 for a nice French wine. This is no more than what we would expect to pay at a mid to upper-mid restaurant when we go out in the LA area.

FYI - use your capital one card if you have one. They do not charge a foreign transaction or currency surcharge.

I am very interested in F. Polynesia for diving, esp. Bora Bora. Is the reef more hard coral? We are used to laid back Bonaire diving. What about current, depths and such?

There is a special offer from clubmed.com for May and June 2006. An all inclusive (meals anyway) only $800 and change for a WEEK!!! Anyone know if this is a terrible place to stay? Hard to beat the price.

Hi: There are actually a couple of resorts that are offering free meal packages with reservations which make it a super deal. If you don't have a meal package the food can be quite expensive......especially if you eat at the resorts. Let me know if you want details of the free meal packages.

Thanks,
Mary Jane

Meals are expensive. Can you say "seventeen dollar cheeseburger?"....but you do get freedom fries with that!

Yep it is expensive in FP!! I have been to the following islands:
Tahiti
Moorea
Bora bora
Huahine
Tahaa
Raitaia
Rangiroa
Rarotonga
Nuka Hive
Hiva Oa

For diivng definitly Rangiora! try and dive the pass- fabulous! we also dove on Bora Bora and Moorea - both nice and we got to see some awesome sharks including a nurse shark. and some amayzing eels! HUGE morays thickier than my waist.

For color - Tahaa had them all beat. In fact the snorkeling there was out of this world!!!! there are some fabulous drift snorkels!!!

If you can buy a package with the food included. becasue food is expensive! you are best off eating fsh and fruit and staying away from beef. Hamburgers are fefinietly in the 17$ range!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom