Bora Bora Tahiti - ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cost for a lousy meal in Tahiti is slighly less then the gross domestic product output of some Third World countries.

Someone I know who went said lots there were lots of French military guys in speedos and French women who consider shaving razors and bathing suit tops are foreign objects.

I suprised to see so many transgengered folks in bora bora.

I suspect that the French and Tahitians in general are a little more permissive and accepting of this part of society......at least in comparison to the U.S.

But I never saw one of these indivduals in a speedo or unshaven for that matter...but I didn't look too closely either.

Hey Diver Dave -

No offense but that is a bunch of crock concerning the price of food - I heard all of that BS before we went this past summer.

In moorea, at the Moorea Pearl - a huge burger with cheese and a basket of fries was $9.35 USD. At the Intercontinental Bora Bora the same item was $10.70 US. At the Kia Ora Rangiroa it was $10 US. That equates to any "fine dining" restaurant or nicer hotel in the US. Even close to the price at a TGIF, Chile's.

Eating out we spent on average $18 - 22 US per adult for fine dining seafood dinners. No more than what I spend everytime I dine at a nice establishment in the US.

For breakfast in Moorea and Bora Bora, we could get a huge omelet from a local pattisserie for $4-5 US. Sandwiches for lunch $2.50 - $5. No more than a Denny's or local deli. Food at the local roadside vendors was half that price.

Considering many of the items are airlifted or via boat from Australia/New Zealand, I would have to say prices in the US should be much lower.

Food is expensive - and as I said Fish and fruit are definitely priced more appropriately. But when you are in town on say Bora Bore it is pricey. Bora Bora Burger had a burger and fries for 15$ USD. this was in 2004. I doubt hte prices have come down. Remember - not everyone on this board is from an expensive area, those of us on the east coast (NYC) and west coast (Cali) are usually not as surprised at the prices because many of our establishments are pricey themselves!!!!

Now if you eat at some of the less tourist popular spots it is more reasonable. AND on Tahiti you can eat at the roulettes along the port and those are priced very reasonably - you can get american chinese food for 10$iUSD a person and finish off with a dessert waffle for 7$. in fact you can eat a lot at these little carts! lots of variety and very cheap in comparison.

also when on Tahiti - go to the market for exploration and make sure to grab a sliced up pinapple to eat as you stroll - the pineapple on these islands is the best!!! and because they are different than the Hawian variety if you are like me - you won't get the mild alergic reaction where your tounge stings/tingles.

Raitiea also has some great little spots - and some hot night clubs. and when i say HOT I mean HOT!!! talk about dancing all night with no air conditioning :) lots of fun though.

The other thing is dog is definitely eaten here - this didn't bother me, and yes I am a dog/pet person. But beef needs to be shipped in and they have an over population of dogs. Don't flame me - this is just the way it is. taste wise Dog isn't bad either....we refered to Dog meat as Tahitian Cattle. Many times you won't realize you are eating dog - it is not advertised......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom