Bought a new regulator just noticing it has a fingernail deep scratch/nick on first stage, will this be a problem with rust or anything in the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be more worried about the hose protectors then about the scratch. 😇

They catch dirt and salt, they hide damage, sometimes they make the hose routing weird and most important > they look silly.

@Angelo Farina , what he said, and he may be of the three smartest persons on Scubaboard! *(none of the three include me BTW to be clear :) )

With what has been going on with AL over the last several years and the sale off 100% to an investment group after the prior company (CEO) had been sucking cash out I doubt employees are highly motivated. There is always Atomic and need I say :stirpot: :

I bet if the OP returns and gets another it will have similar "features" and without a better photo I am still going to say that both marks are pre-chroming and are either casting or machine tool CNC marks of no consequence to the function or longevity of the regulator.

The amount of torque on a HP or LP hose is minimal. Seat it and a 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Pliers, Channel Locks, Crescent style wrench (the Knipex is not a Crescent wrench) Ford wrenches, Snapon "Flank" drive open ends and other assorted tools are strictly forbidden.
Agreed, but if the mark on the reg is from a tool mark there was plenty of torque applied.

The process… To many inspection points to miss a gouge like the one in the OP’s.

:). I do not believe the marks have anything to do with post plating process damage or over torque of the LP hose.

But a better photo is what we need, I could be wrong. While I was not involved in regulator manufacturing I am very familiar as a (retired) field service engineer dealing with precision aircraft components found with damage or defect despite extensive inspection. Excrement happens. Thing is here, I think it is probably considered acceptable by AL and getting another it might have very similar cosmetic machine tool marks, which is what I now think those marks are.

I saw a mermaid, is this normal?
Freud says it's your mother.

I'm thinking this thread has run its course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom