Boynton Inlet Loggerhead DB broken up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah but here lately we have beenhaving 8-10 plus wind waves. It's been kinda nasty out there.

How could it be flat "except at the beach" if they got rolled by a big wave? Are you saying it was "just big swell" and there were no wind waves to speak of? No matter really to me, BIG swell is still BIG swell! If they are close together even 3-4's can get ugly!

How could it be flat "except at the beach" if they got rolled by a big wave? Are you saying it was "just big swell" and there were no wind waves to speak of? No matter really to me, BIG swell is still BIG swell! If they are close together even 3-4's can get ugly!

Yes, it was all swell, though I didn't see any 10 footers. They weren't close either. This picture was taken about 5 minutes after they left the inlet.

n030833m.jpg

How could it be flat "except at the beach" if they got rolled by a big wave?......

Inlets act like funnels to incoming waves. The water gets shallower, and the width gets narrower. The waves are slowed by the reduced cross section, but retain the same amount of energy they started with, so they get taller and packed closer together. Under the right conditions, 4' swells can easily produce 12' rollers in an inlet.

I remember a vacation I brought my 17' sailboat to West Palm almost 20 years ago. After going out on the Atlantic, the winds shifted to the east. Coming back through the inlet I felt like I was on a boat in a cartoon riding on the tip of a wave! It was a little scary to say the least! :11:

That is such a bummer.... I have dived with them numerous times. The Boynton Inlet is rough, and Loggerhead was a single engine.

In defense of those that say they were out in rough waves.... I've seen them call dives, I've been scheduled when they were called for rough weather. I've also seen them go out on days that were forecast somewhat high "4-6" and have had flat seas and gorgeous conditions. I'm very grateful that everyone is ok. And look forward to diving with them again soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom