Boyscout smarter than us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The boyscout require the following, which seems to be higher than the minimum by many c-agencies (NAUI 15 forward strokes, PADI/SSI 300 yrd snorkel).

In addition, I think the boyscout should require demonstration of rhythmic breathing (exhale underwater, inhale above), and their requirement would even be better. At least the boyscouts don't want their members to drown when all else fail.

"SCUBA BSA Award
This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
Decide for yourself if it is appropriate for your younger scouts or not.
The SCUBA BSA Award Patch is not worn on the scout uniform. It is worn on the left side of the swim trunks.

Download the SCUBA BSA Application Form

Requirements

Before doing other requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test. To begin the test, jump feet first into water over the head in depth, level off, and begin swimming. Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating."

Boy Scouts are from 11 to 18 (after that, they are "varsity scouts", etc...).

It's typical that just about any aquatic activity in scouting has certain pre-requisite certifications and/or merit badges. For example, to get the "canoeing" merit badge, a scout must first have the badge for swimming. SCUBA mb is the same way. In that way, scouts can build upon what they already know and instructors can be reasonably comfortable in knowing that they already have some basic skills and comfort levels.

I got kicked out of the boy scouts when I was about 13 years old. Don't remember why.

When I was in the Boy Scouts, I did the Mile swim every year at summer camp. Now at 50 years old, that just ain't happening.

When I was in the Boy Scouts, I did the Mile swim every year at summer camp.

I did that also. I wonder if they still have the mile swim?

I did that also. I wonder if they still have the mile swim?

I did it every year myself. Now, its been about three or four years since I've been involved with Scouting, I was an Assistant Scoutmaster for a while and helped out at camp, but they still had the mile swim then and I never heard anyone saying they should get rid of it.

Yep, it's still a part of the Scouting program.

I did it the first year it was offered. I think that was back in '61 or '62.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom