BP/W for Newly Certified OW Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm just about convinced to go the BP/W route, now just gotta nail down the types/brands etc. Cost isn't the biggest factor for me but it is a concern as it most likely is with just about everyone. If I can get a good solid starter rig for 500-600 bucks that would be optimal.

Onto my next question.....what type of concerns should a 6'2" 260lb guy have with respect to fit and function of a BP/W? To relieve any "obese" diver concerns, my doc has told me that I should lose the mid 30's age "spare tire" but he has little concern on my weight on my overall health....I'm just a big guy, I've swam a mile in the open ocean as recently as a month ago.

There are several great brands out there. Shop around before you decide.

I use, and highly recommend Deep Sea Supply systems. The owner, Tobin George, is very active here on ScubaBoard (coolhardware52). Give him a PM or contact him through the DSS website ... he'll be able to answer any question you can think of in helping you select a setup you'll be happy with. Prices, quality, and customer service are all top shelf.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow! Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm just about convinced to go the BP/W route, now just gotta nail down the types/brands etc. Cost isn't the biggest factor for me but it is a concern as it most likely is with just about everyone. If I can get a good solid starter rig for 500-600 bucks that would be optimal.

Onto my next question.....what type of concerns should a 6'2" 260lb guy have with respect to fit and function of a BP/W? To relieve any "obese" diver concerns, my doc has told me that I should lose the mid 30's age "spare tire" but he has little concern on my weight on my overall health....I'm just a big guy, I've swam a mile in the open ocean as recently as a month ago.

My first BP/W was a DSS (DeepSeaSupply) stainless steel plate and singles wing. I also have a Dive Rite aluminum plate and Classic doubles wing. Both have single piece hogarthian harnesses.

I went BP/W after my four OW dives - I borrowed a jacket style for my fifth dive and then my diving buddy/instructor lent me a BP/W to try out. I ended up buying a transplate harness, used SS plate (custom made with a bit of extra weight) and an aluminum plate for $100 total and a used Venture wing for $150 Cdn.

It was great because the transplate was wayyy too big for me - so we took all the pieces apart, removed some of the extra d-rings etc. and ended up adjusting it down to size.

Only problem I had is that for my first few dives I kept getting it full of water because I wasn't doing a good job on adjusting my trim/buoyancy when dumping. I kept forgetting I had to move my shoulder to use the shoulder dump and I was doing terribly with the butt dump because I wasn't adjusting myself to use that one either.

Aside from that, I love it. I was going to get the DR deluxe harness (I'm female and busty) because of the clip over the chest, but I'll keep the transplate until I do the rescue diver because it will be easier.

I will be at Haymarket, VA (Millbrook quarry) Oct. 31 if you want to try one of my bp/wings. Let me know ahead so I can bring an extra. Nancy and I are doing a Halloween Navigation and cookout thing with Fathom Divers that day.

For info go to http://www.fathomdivers.org/# and look for the Halloween Spooky Dive.

I went BP/W after my four OW dives - I borrowed a jacket style for my fifth dive and then my diving buddy/instructor lent me a BP/W to try out. I ended up buying a transplate harness, used SS plate (custom made with a bit of extra weight) and an aluminum plate for $100 total and a used Venture wing for $150 Cdn.

It was great because the transplate was wayyy too big for me - so we took all the pieces apart, removed some of the extra d-rings etc. and ended up adjusting it down to size.

Only problem I had is that for my first few dives I kept getting it full of water because I wasn't doing a good job on adjusting my trim/buoyancy when dumping. I kept forgetting I had to move my shoulder to use the shoulder dump and I was doing terribly with the butt dump because I wasn't adjusting myself to use that one either.

Aside from that, I love it. I was going to get the DR deluxe harness (I'm female and busty) because of the clip over the chest, but I'll keep the transplate until I do the rescue diver because it will be easier.
A few years back I had a Venture wing that I kept getting full of water too. Not sure if was a function of poor technique or just a bad dump valve though. I sold it ... and the person who bought it had the same problem till she replaced the dump valve.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A few years back I had a Venture wing that I kept getting full of water too. Not sure if was a function of poor technique or just a bad dump valve though. I sold it ... and the person who bought it had the same problem till she replaced the dump valve.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been assuming it was my technique because I only have 15 dives to my name. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it - I've noticed less water, but the first time I dove it we were joking that the quarry probably went down a few feet!

Definitely something to keep in mind though, thank you. If there is still a lot of water as my diving progresses I'll look about getting it replaced.

I have been doing a great deal of research and find myself considering a BP/W as opposed to a jacket style BCD. One of my main reasons for this consideration is the versatility of the BP/W over the jacket with respect to upgrades/additions/and ability to change out components for varying diving conditions and scenarios. I'm looking for thoughts/critiques/insights from all ranges of diving experience on this consideration. Thanks!:popcorn:
Research? on the internet.

The "BPW" is one of the great internet phenoms. Nothing wrong with them if it works for you. I dive one myself. But relly, for single tank rec stuff, try things out. If you like the BPW, best to find some one to help you.

After watching a lot of these rec type forums, I see a lot of people dissing their mentors and embracing a BPW because i seems the manly thing to do. Just like embracing Jet fins. Great fins. I have been using them for over 30 years, but this is the 21st century. Jets, like BPW's have their place.

Slow down and dive as many BCD's as you can. Then decide. The BCD should be your last piece of your equiptment if you are on a budget.

Research? on the internet.

The "BPW" is one of the great internet phenoms. Nothing wrong with them if it works for you. I dive one myself. But relly, for single tank rec stuff, try things out. If you like the BPW, best to find some one to help you.

After watching a lot of these rec type forums, I see a lot of people dissing their mentors and embracing a BPW because i seems the manly thing to do. Just like embracing Jet fins. Great fins. I have been using them for over 30 years, but this is the 21st century. Jets, like BPW's have their place.

Slow down and dive as many BCD's as you can. Then decide. The BCD should be your last piece of your equiptment if you are on a budget.

My main draw to the BP/W is versatility.....change my diving type, conditions, or preferences? Change a component or two. Not go out and buy a whole new BCD.

I'm not necessarily on a budget, I'm just of the school of thought of "why buy a Lamborghini when a slightly used Audi would serve my purposes just as well?":)

I don't mind spending a few hard earned bucks on a solid complete set up.

I took a look at Deep Sea Supply, and it seems that the "large" backplate would suit my sizing needs. Now any thoughts on what wing I should get with the package?

I have been doing a great deal of research and find myself considering a BP/W as opposed to a jacket style BCD. One of my main reasons for this consideration is the versatility of the BP/W over the jacket with respect to upgrades/additions/and ability to change out components for varying diving conditions and scenarios. I'm looking for thoughts/critiques/insights from all ranges of diving experience on this consideration. Thanks!:popcorn:

No no!!! as a newly certified diver you should buy an expensive poodle jacket that you will regret buying in a few months. A BP/W is not for you. Just use the search function!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom