BP/W with weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.. With steels or what? (I dive dry with 34 pounds on AL80s, so 24 dry is unheard of for me.)
While talking a GUE class at the Alexandria Bay area. I too was fitted with 24lbs.

I was diving ss bp/w, drysuit with 300 polartec insulation, and a single AL80. Some weight on the top cam band, and the rest on my waist quick release pockets..

Is the weight belt then above the harness waist line? That would likely keep the belt on me.

I believe the weight belt sits lower, just on top of your hip bone, and your BCD waist strap goes higher, near the navel.

Wow.. With steels or what? (I dive dry with 34 pounds on AL80s, so 24 dry is unheard of for me.)

Sorry I only gave part of the story. . . + SS BP (6 lbs) and I dive with Sherwood HP120's

My harness waist strap is at navel level. My weight belt (rubber free diving belt) is just below the waist strap. The crotch strap lies over the weight belt.

The rubber free dive belts are great, are meant to be worn low, and work for most any body types.... just visualize all those skinny male spearo's that wear them.

If all you need is 10 lbs of ballast total, you could conceivably just carry it on your rig (in pouches on the cam bands), but I personally like to have some ditch-able weight for possible surface emergencies.... I have 8 lbs of my total ballast on my weight belt, the rest is "fixed" in my heavy back plate and extra heavy STA.

I do recommend giving the rubber weight belts a try, they are not super expensive (search on Amazon), are comfortable, and CANNOT be accidentally released, yet will release with a single pull if needed.

Best wishes.

That's not too surprising. When I dive dry in 60 degree water, single AL80 and aluminum BP I only use 16 lbs.

I also use a rubber weightbelt under the harness/crotch strap.
Your waist harness strap should be just high enough (right below the rib cage) to allow the weightbelt to ride right below it.
The rubber freediving belts "stick" better because the rubber grips suit materials better and doesn't slip. They can be adjusted to stretch and they compensate for suit squeeze at depth, and they can be placed down even further like down over the top of your butt alieviating the pressure on your lower back, all this without slipping around.
I'm not a fan of a balanced rig since I think it's a good idea to have some ditchable weight sinceI dive wet in cold water.
Balanced rig is great if you have alternate buoyancy like a drysuit.

"Balanced rig" as I've been taught means that the weight is split up between the diver's body and the BC so that each is roughly neutral. That way you can doff your rig at depth without heading for the surface sans BC or vice versa.

As you get into colder water, this typically means more weight on the diver's body. I don't know why anyone would call all the weight on the BC a 'balanced rig'.

BTW, this is an old thread....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom