Brass Oxidation on SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

I'm attempting to remove my SPG from its hose. However, there is brass oxidation where the nut on the SPG (which is brass) meets the nut on the hose (which is not brass). Those darned nuts won't move. And, worst of all, the brass nut on the SPG is soft, so it is beginning to strip. Any idea how to get them to move without ruining the brass nut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

CT Dave:
Hi:

I'm attempting to remove my SPG from its hose. However, there is brass oxidation where the nut on the SPG (which is brass) meets the nut on the hose (which is not brass). Those darned nuts won't move. And, worst of all, the brass nut on the SPG is soft, so it is beginning to strip. Any idea how to get them to move without ruining the brass nut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
First off why are you taking it apart?

I have always used vinegar to soak the fitting in to dissolve the corrosion. Now there are several commercial products out there that should work.

Next use the proper wrench. If you can get a “Box” end on it great, if not use a “Tubing” wrench. It’s a semi box with an open end. Either of those should keep the nut in good shape.

Work it off slowly turning it back and forth to help keep the threads clean. Make sure the crud doesn’t get into the hose or the SPG. It’s easier to keep it out than cleaning them later.

If still in doubt take it to the LDS.

Gary D.

Soaking and the use of hot & cold should fix that. I'd start by soaking it overnight or for a day. Start with hot tap water. If you can, renew the hot water a couple times. Then, soak in hot water again to get everything expanded. Then hit the hot hose nut with a ice cube for a couple minutes to get it to contract. Then try proper fitting wrenches (not adjustables). Don't use too much pressure. If it doens't work the first time, try the hot/cold again. If that doesn't work, give it more soak. As long as everything is connected, you could even try a 10 to 15 minute soak in 50/50 vinegar and water.

But if the nut is that much of a problem, the spool is probably going to be worse. If you get unlucky and break the spool off in the guage, it's toast. You may want to reconsider dropping some coin at the LDS unless you just don't trust them.

Thanks for the tip. Vinegar worked like a charm. I was removing the SPG because I wanted to take it out of on old console to use on a pony bottle and to change the length of the hose.

Dave

CT Dave:
Thanks for the tip. Vinegar worked like a charm. I was removing the SPG because I wanted to take it out of on old console to use on a pony bottle and to change the length of the hose.

Dave
Glad it worked. Being an Italien, Italeen, Itallieen, Dago I use a lot of it. Most of my gear smells like a salad. :D

Gary D.

awap:
Soaking and the use of hot & cold should fix that. I'd start by soaking it overnight or for a day. Start with hot tap water. If you can, renew the hot water a couple times. Then, soak in hot water again to get everything expanded. Then hit the hot hose nut with a ice cube for a couple minutes to get it to contract. Then try proper fitting wrenches (not adjustables). Don't use too much pressure. If it doens't work the first time, try the hot/cold again. If that doesn't work, give it more soak. As long as everything is connected, you could even try a 10 to 15 minute soak in 50/50 vinegar and water.

But if the nut is that much of a problem, the spool is probably going to be worse. If you get unlucky and break the spool off in the guage, it's toast. You may want to reconsider dropping some coin at the LDS unless you just don't trust them.

Oops, got that back-asswards. The ice needs to go on the male part of the connection which is the gauge end nut, not the hose end nut.

Back
Top Bottom