Breaching with high tech fins : the evolution of "Cetaceo-Sapien"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBO MD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read with interest the ongoing discussions regarding the research, benefits, pros and cons of various fins, their cost benefit ratios etc.
Well, I have finally stumbled onto a fin that transcends all of this by allowing a simple human being to launch one's self from the water as our finned mammalian relatives do.

To hell with sticker shock, the economy, energy crisis and Sarah Palin.

Ladies and gentlemen....introducing....

Lunocet - Advancing Underwater Speed and Mobility

....thoughts?

:)

I'm trying to understand the target market...

Forget cavers and technical divers -- they need to back-fin, helicopter-fin, etc...
Photographers need to fine tune their positions in the water column...
Newbies will have a tough time with the added claustrophobic effect of having their feet bound together...

The benefit of speed might be interesting to freediving abalone and lobster netters...

I don't know... where are they targeting it?

All I could think of is that it would let me swim like a seal, and the seals in Cove 2 are the worst for silting out the dive site of anybody underwater there . . . :)

The fin width would be a nice place to catch kelp underwater---the nemesis of ab divers. Californian divers are not allowed to use anything but a gloved hand to catch lobsters and that requires being able to adjust positioni the water.

Hmmm....market seems to be getting very limited.

Record attempting freedivers?

Anyone ever heard of "hydrotouring" touted on the website?

I get the feeling it is a bio mechanical off shoot of another enterprise which is alluded to at their web site. Nevertheless, while people were pursuing the force/jet fin issues and debating the approx. $800 price, I could not help but throw this in as the price is an enticing...... $1800

HBO MD, that looks like a fair price with the carbon fiber workman ship. I have had a mono fin that will work better than all others but it is such a limited market with maybe selling 30-60 pairs a year. I wish them all the best.

Ideal for frog kicking and backward moving.

Ideal for frog kicking and backward moving.
???
How do you frog kick or back fin, in a mono-fin?

Bob, I indeed think it's very innovative, and I applaud any imaginative "out of the box" application.
Again, I think it evolved from their efforts for man powered exploration which is and of itself is something that has been on the back burner for some time, but is no doubt of ongoing importance.
In terms of it's practical application, I think it is obviously very limited. Although the thought of freediving then breaching, and achieving theoretical speeds akin to cetaceans, albeit very temporarily, is absolutely, positively enticing. Now where is my check book? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom