Breaking News! A second wolf eel lives on Phil's Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Pepé the wolf eel may actually be Pepíta. A second, larger wolf eel not only stuck out its head from the block of concrete, but it swam away with divers in tow. We think it may be Pepíta's husband Jesus.

Kevin Lee returned from a whirlwind trip to Asia just in time to see the action. After several dives in the area over the past month, we decided to check out conditions on the south side of Palos Verdes. We made a dive on White Point Rock and enjoyed the choppy surface and green, four feet of visibility. It cleared up near the end of the dive to a solid five feet.

I decided we would head back to Redondo Beach and check on Pepé. We didn't have any squid to offer, but Merry found a seven year old can of turkey that wanted to go diving. The crabs enjoyed it.

After giving up hope of getting a good shot of Pepé I swam around the block to where Merry was setting up her camera for a shot of a bigger wolf eel. She named this one Jesus. After getting a few shots, it suddenly swam out of its hole and went cruising. I took a dead lingcod Merry found to offer, but Jesus just wanted to leave. We'll give it another try tomorrow.

WhitePointRock4-1.jpg

WhitePointRock2-2.jpg

WhitePointRock3-2.jpg

WhitePointRock5-1.jpg

Denizens of White Point Rock. The fish were staying close to the reef due to the poor visibility.

PhilsReef1-2.jpg

The metridiums of the block are doing better than they seemed last week.

PhilsReef2-4.jpg

Crabby lovin'.

PhilsReef4-2.jpg

Ronquil

PhilsReef3-3.jpg

Empty Nest syndrome

PhilsReef6-3.jpg

PhilsReef7-2.jpg

PhilsReef8-2.jpg

PhilsReef9-2.jpg

Merry fired off a couple of shots as Jesus was leaving the building.
WolfeelPhilsReef800DSC_6119.jpg

WolfeelPhilsReef.jpg

LOVE "empty nest syndrome" -- what a great shot of the empty eggs and the eye!

Wow Phil! Not one but two Wolf Eels at Phil's Reef! :shocked2: Incredible series! Love the closeup portrait of the Wolf Eel. The soft lighting paired with the patterns on his face make one hell of a shot. The empty nest syndrome is superb as well. Bummer that the metridiums are still having issues. I wonder what happened? :confused:

The soft lighting was a result of an error. I had the 90mm lens on for macro. I didn't expect to even see the wolf eel, let alone have it go for a swim. I had to get those shots of its face from about four feet away, so the strobes took a minimal effect. Turned out to be OK.

Is it me or the wolf eel looks like the Alien thingiemabob that pops out of people's chests?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom