Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not believe the whaler deliberately rammed the Adi.

From the link given it appears that the Whaler changed his course to starboard to intentionally hit the vessel. I guess we can look at the same material and get something different out of what we each see.

As I wasn't there, I'm content to know that it will be investigated and action will be taken, as appropriate. We'll have to await the results.

I don't condone these actions, but what you described doesn't warrant deadly force.
The conclusion is pretty obvious if you look at the frontal view of the accident. It's apparent that the Whaler deliberately rammed her.

YouTube - Ady Gil Being Rammed View From The Sea Shepherd Whale Wars

I just can't condone such an obvious and unwarranted use of force that could have resulted in the death of others.

I respect your opinion and I do not hold a Cpt. license so my interpretation of that video is amature at best but until/unless proven otherwise I will say that if I were sitting in the jury box I would place blame squarely on the shoulders of the cpt/crew of the Aby Gil.

From the link given it appears that the Whaler changed his course to starboard to intentionally hit the vessel. I guess we can look at the same material and get something different out of what we each see.

As I wasn't there, I'm content to know that it will be investigated and action will be taken, as appropriate. We'll have to await the results.

I did edit my post to somewhat agree with you.....I for one do not believe the truth will ever come out and that the SS will be the group to benefit hugely from this. I agree that it is very simple for two people to watch the same thing and see different things.

I too think it looks intentional on the part of the whalers and I've looked at
different footage. It is still afloat but can't be towed forward. I'm really glad
no one was killed. It could have easily had a deadly outcome. I don't know
what they are going to do with it. Tow it in or let it go. I know they put
a ton of money into it and I don't believe they "sacrificed" it as others may
think.

I like talking to myself! He's the only one that I really respect anyway! insert smile here
See you topside! John

I like talking to myself! He's the only one that I really respect anyway! insert smile here
See you topside! John

:rofl3:

Some socalled experts at this kinda incidents went out in the newspapers yesterday stating that the SS vessel "clearly violate the rules of the sea" and that the whaler had right of way. Right of way never meant right to run someone over in my book and I cant say what the experts opinion on japanese whaling is, but saying SS havent done something reckless and possibly something that they have the full blame for is not what Ill agree with regardless. Yes, the whaler MAY have done less than they could to avoid the incident but from all the videos it looks to me like the smaller, more agile vessel place themselves exactly where they want to be and complaining about getting involved in a crash, avoidable or not by the whaler, is a bit moronic when you put yourself there. Its not like the cops set up a road block and think theres no chance in hell it will get rammed..

I did go on you tube, there is footage of SS chasing the whale boat! Along with other ship to ship interaction! There is a history of SS ramming the whalers.
See you topside! John

I did go on you tube, there is footage of SS chasing the whale boat! Along with other ship to ship interaction! There is a history of SS ramming the whalers.
See you topside! John
Well, they DID equip one of the SS ships whith a "can opener" to cut open the hull of other ships some time ago.. I have no sympathy for those morons..

Back
Top Bottom