Bringing along a reflective object could make all the difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
The story below describes a New Zealand fisherman who fell out of his boat and was rescued 23 hours later because he was able to get the attention of fisherman using the sun reflected off his watch.

Signaling with a mirror is not a revelation and our hobby has lots of devices/colored stuff to try to ensure we can be seen or heard, but this reinforces the value of also simply bringing along something reflective, whether actual mirror, CD, or whatever.

Since we all jump out of the boat on purpose and then need to be found, this could be useful info. The value of the fisherman cannot be understated either!

The stainless buckle on a waist or weight belt makes a good flasher. Outstretched arm with 2 fingers in a V make for good aim.

I was in the Navy and spent a lot of time flying around open ocean. Finding a person out there is nearly impossible without help from the survivor. From my experience, the best signaling devices are:

-Rescue beacon
-Signal mirror
-Fluorescent green sea dye
-Very large SMB with SOLAS tape
-Signaling flares

I was in the Navy and spent a lot of time flying around open ocean. Finding a person out there is nearly impossible without help from the survivor.
I can attest to that. Except not in the blue ocean, but the white wilderness. Used a mirror. Within seconds the spotter plane knew our location.

On comment about mirrors, they need to kept sealed from all all moisture.

I keep a signal mirror in one of my weight pouches.

I suppose you could just duct tape it, to the back of a backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom