Brut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:It has the screw-on cover.So I figure it is a BRUT with he advertising missing. Dave4868: Five dollars at an estate sale. Hope I didn't pay too much. Ha!

Mr.X:It has the screw-on cover.So I figure it is a BRUT with he advertising missing. Dave4868: Five dollars at an estate sale. Hope I didn't pay too much. Ha!

5.00 is a good deal. If the cover has a pin/latching mechanism on the front it's a very old model from the early 90's. During that time you would use the latch to press the purge button down when it wasn't in use. Sherwood thought this a good idea for increasing life of seats. Then they ditched it when everyone lost the latch pin.

Also, IMO experience I wouldn't use a Sherwood reg. for very technical applications. Deep diving comes to mind. They work very well as recreational regulators. They were very, very simple to service at one time. I haven't followed the trend with these regs. beyond the late 90's.

X

Here is a link to a site with all the regulator manuals. Sherwood is well represented.

Hopefully this is good help for you.

www.frogkick.dk - /manuals/

Stu

5.00 is a good deal. If the cover has a pin/latching mechanism on the front it's a very old model from the early 90's.

I'm definitely getting old, ha, ha! I was thinking that time period was "more recent", especially since my Sherwoods are older. :D

Also, IMO experience I wouldn't use a Sherwood reg. for very technical applications. Deep diving comes to mind. They work very well as recreational regulators. They were very, very simple to service at one time. I haven't followed the trend with these regs. beyond the late 90's.

I can't argue with this, since I don't know Sherwood's technical specs for air output for "deep diving". No doubt, you're right, since one doesn't hear of Sherwood being a popular tech choice.

I suppose the aspect here is whether the regulator could be "overbreathed" beyond a certain depth, not reliability, right?

Mine have been good breathers down to 180', but I wasn't breathing hard. Reliability has been flawless. And you're right about them being simple to service. I believe current models are basically the same design and just as simple.

Anybody got any references to overbreathing tests or output tests comparing regulators?

Just curious.

Dave C

Here is a link to a site with all the regulator manuals. Sherwood is well represented.

Hopefully this is good help for you.

www.frogkick.dk - /manuals/

Stu

What a terrific site! Thanks! I see Sherwood models from the really olden days there! Even the discontinued Poseidon model!

I'm definitely getting old, ha, ha! I was thinking that time period was "more recent", especially since my Sherwoods are older. :D

I can't argue with this, since I don't know Sherwood's technical specs for air output for "deep diving". No doubt, you're right, since one doesn't hear of Sherwood being a popular tech choice.

I suppose the aspect here is whether the regulator could be "overbreathed" beyond a certain depth, not reliability, right?

Mine have been good breathers down to 180', but I wasn't breathing hard. Reliability has been flawless. And you're right about them being simple to service. I believe current models are basically the same design and just as simple.

Anybody got any references to overbreathing tests or output tests comparing regulators?

Just curious.

Dave C

The tests I conducted on various regs. were not quantitative. I tried a newer Brut recently in cold water (45F) at a depth of 100 in current and it was supremely doggy. I used an APEKS adjustable on the same dive, same parameters and it performed well, if somewhat wet. Then I tried a newer adjustable Scubapro...even better. Of course, I didn't expect the Brut to perform as well since it doesn't have the the same mechanics as the latter two. However, the second stage is compact and can take a beating. :)

I also used the older and newer adjustable Magnums at 100+ in 50 - 60F. They were quite decent. I used Poseidons Odin deeper...always dependable, but preferred reg for deeper has been the APEKS. Strangely enough, the mid 90's Oasis and Spirotechnique were my favorite choices as a breathers. While I don't like the fact the Oasis required screws to remove the second stage, it breathed very well until it started freeflowing uncrontrollaby on a dive. I imagine it's a seat issue, but haven't checked inside. This was ten years ago?

I would also be interested to see data too. Cheers!

X

Back
Top Bottom