Buddy Checks - do you do them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BWARF is a pnemonic PADI uses to indoctrinate new divers into a sexist POV aimed at objectifying a certain segment of the female population. It stands for "blonde women really are fun". What that has to do with diving I do not know but everytime I repeated it to myself before a dive I would get flustured and make mistakes :wink:

Darn, Dale, I missed that version of the Padi mnemonic. What we got here in Ontario was "Big White Rabbits Are Fuzzy" or "Begin With Review And Friend"....you BC folks get all the fun and fluster :wink:

I do not do a "formal" buddy check for easy, open warm water dives unless with a newer diver. Nearly everyone I dive with wishes to be responsible for themselves. If there is any doubt about safety, I do ask if it's ok for me check. My personal check consists of depressing inflator button as I gently turn on the air - this checks four things: air on, inflator hose connected, wing operational, and wing partially inflated for entry. I then check pressure gauge for proper pressure, and finally breathe from both regs to check their function. I don't use a weight belt, don't have bc snaps or belts, and the rest of the stuff has become second nature to me. If somehow I jumped in without fins, mask, weights, etc I wouldn't be going very far anyway. Kind of like the possibility of leaving the house without my pants - not likely to happen and the embarrassment is probably going to kill me anyway.

I wanted to make this thread more of a "Look - you people who are starting out, don't let the lapses of others convince you that omitting buddy checks is the root to looking experienced."

While those of you feel that you are too experienced to do them, you are setting the new divers a bad example. And while it's a readily rectified issue jumping in without your mask, what of a new diver. If the conditions were a bit dodgy, this simple mistake could be enough to set of a spiralling panic attack.

I prefer to just use an acronym that is easier to remember for what it is. WeBARF.

I always do a buddy check. IF I'm divng with my regular buddy, S.O., then I don't go over the releases, but do check air, BCD etc... When diving with someone new or I don't regularly dive with then I do the full check.

I have one question, what's a "BUBBLE CHECK"???

Cheers,

Bubble Check = Leak check.

I wanted to make this thread more of a "Look - you people who are starting out, don't let the lapses of others convince you that omitting buddy checks is the root to looking experienced."

While those of you feel that you are too experienced to do them, you are setting the new divers a bad example. And while it's a readily rectified issue jumping in without your mask, what of a new diver. If the conditions were a bit dodgy, this simple mistake could be enough to set of a spiralling panic attack.

I know this is politically incorrect but I did not get into diving so that I could walk around setting a good example for the new guy. It's a bit of an ego stroke to think I'm the shining light for others and they are all looking to me for guidance. Most won't also dive independant twins, oval masks, horsecollars and J valves. I also don't have the urge to grab a tank of trimix and see what's what just because I saw some other guys doing it.
I will tailor my actions to whatever level my dive partner happens to be, and to whatever comfort level they want to assume but around here self sufficiency and taking responsibility for your own sh_ t are also diving traits to be encouraged.

I have one question, what's a "BUBBLE CHECK"???

A check, usually done just below the surface, to see if there are any bubbles leaking from the valve assembly of your regs. Because it is hard to see behind I generally check you and you check me.

You asked. Not a case of feeling "too experienced". Please reread post - I did say that I ask to do checks if with new divers, or if I see a possible hazard. Most of the time I am with people who would not want me touching their valves and I am also frequently a solo diver.

Even on a 20' lumpsucker dive?

Why not ... you can still drown in 20' of water after all.

Bottom line is that if a formal buddy check is what's in your comfort zone, and what's going to keep your head in the dive once you've submerged, then do it. If it's what your buddy needs to keep their head in the dive, then do it.

It only takes a minute or two, and whatever you're going down there to see will still be there once you're done with your checks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom