Buddy near OOA heavy current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy is now considering a pony after today. That was part of our debrief after he realized how quickly things happen and how my little 13 likely saved us ascending into traffic. The problem is he's a retired army ranger combat diver and his body is old lol. He can ditch lead as he moves to 100s and maybe a pony. Just need to keep pushing him in the right direction. We both dive in a self reliant fashion but today a buddy was needed and his own pony would have helped him more than my back gas.
I had a similar situation, which motivated me to stop being cheap and buy a pony. The situation itself wasn't life-and-death, a regulator-hose came loose at about 30ft. But lets say it was 90ft, plus another hazard like an entanglement, and things could have been bad. It's the only tank I've bought new.

In the 1.5 years since then, I've managed to acquire several more off the used market cheap, including another 19cu, and 2x 6cu.

I had a similar situation, which motivated me to stop being cheap and buy a pony. The situation itself wasn't life-and-death, a regulator-hose came loose at about 30ft. But lets say it was 90ft, plus another hazard like an entanglement, and things could have been bad. It's the only tank I've bought new.

In the 1.5 years since then, I've managed to acquire several more off the used market cheap, including another 19cu, and 2x 6cu.
I've thought about changing to a 19 but I've had this 13cf for 12 or 13 years and it hasn't let me down. I'm cheap and only have it because it was part of a lot I bought back then lol

My pony is upside down and off (ever so slightly on to keep line pressure as I descend) to prevent air loss. The valve is at my kidney so is an easy reach back to turn on when the situation arises as it did today. That was actually the first thing I did when he signaled low and was purely muscle memory reaction.

I have a sherwood octo with 36" yellow hose setup on mine. They're bulletproof and I haven't had any issues with it. No idea on model and I'm not in the mood or dressed enough to go downstairs to the garage and find out right now.

My buddy is now considering a pony after today. That was part of our debrief after he realized how quickly things happen and how my little 13 likely saved us ascending into traffic. The problem is he's a retired army ranger combat diver and his body is old lol. He can ditch lead as he moves to 100s and maybe a pony. Just need to keep pushing him in the right direction. We both dive in a self reliant fashion but today a buddy was needed and his own pony would have helped him more than my back gas.
Not to be too picky about details, but if you buddy has no redundancy and the surface is not a viable option due to boat traffic, then I fail to see how you can claim that you both dive in a self reliant manner. With one scooter and one pony bottle and a high current environment, the team is vulnerable on more than one level.

Pony bottles seem stupid in shallow water, but I generally bring one if boat traffic is a potential problem.

Good story about multiple things being "off" and it cascades into a real problem. My pony has gotten me out of a few situations, and also given me the confidence to more calmly manage problems with the knowledge that I have a plan B available.

I've thought about changing to a 19 but I've had this 13cf for 12 or 13 years and it hasn't let me down. I'm cheap and only have it because it was part of a lot I bought back then lol
Obviously, ScubaBoard is happy to have 50 pages of discussion about the ideal size of pony-bottle, including calculating air-use, etc. My own somewhat simplified assessment for recreational diving is:
  • 1.7 or 3cu - toying around or swimming. NOT redundant air.
  • 6cu - Minimum size. Will probably save you from drowning, but don't waste time heading for the surface.
  • 13cu - Great for travel, and adequate for most recreational troubles. You'll probably be skipping or cutting short a safety stop, if starting from 100+ft
  • 19cu - Ideal size for local & recreational diving. Should handle common scenarios up to 130ft, and enough for a safety-stop. Generally not much more heavy or in-your-way than any previously mentioned size. Even the 1.7cu and 3cu are subjectively as "in my way" as the 19cu.
  • 30/40/50cu - Even 50% to 100% more air than the 19cu; and can be reused for technical diving. Though more noticeable than 19 when slung. Technically, you're better off with a 30+ cu. Assuming you're carrying it. I've noticed people with a 30 or 40cu talk as if they have a pony-bottle, but they always leave them at home. To borrow a concept from conceal-carry, "The 13cu you carry is better than the 40cu you left at home." Although some people on Scubaboard claim they don't mind 30s, so who knows (I don't have experience with them yet)
  • 80cu - Sidemount is fun!

I slung a13cu, for my 1st 70 dives. I have used a 30cu ever since then, mainly as I like to go deep, and solo. And of course, I have sellers regret, for selling the 13, after I got the 30.

If you are going to carry something carry something
If you're going to carry a short tank carry a long tank

A three litre Faber steel tank for deco gas or any gas

186 DSC06693.JPG

Steel, with double discs, and pumped a bit more up, your dive is limitless
a hard dive, give your body a boost with oxygen from a tank you can use

Sounds like an unnecessarily messy dive but learning is winning. Glad you guys didn’t breathe water.

If the surface isn’t an option you should probably be diving doubles…

I appreciate you sharing this so we can all learn. Also glad you both made it back. The lost light sucks but is better than a lost life.

Back
Top Bottom