Bug Bite Stuff for Roatan Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantwiscour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen posts about an OTC nasal spray that can be used on bug bites to relieve the itch/infection. After looking about seven pages deep in the BI forum...I can't find it.

It seems like (and probably was Doc) but not positive.

We prefer not to use deet and did pretty good with some organic products last year in Guanaja. We'll probably bring new bottles of those and something with deet. Other than the obvious what recommendations can y'all give? We'll be staying up around Sandy Bay Point.

Yes, it was I.

Fluocinonide. It is an inexpensive corticosteroid cream, contains the same drug as Nasonex. By prescription, very inexpensive.

Instant relief from the insane itch caused by sand flea bites.

Better living through chemistry, herbal remedies aside.

I think Cactus Juice is generally available on Roatan and online. It works for many folks but has not worked for me or my wife. Unfortunately we have to rely on a DEET product. We have found BuggSpray the best available, bar none. Available at stores in the US but I by online direct from the company. They have a vanilla scent and "military grade." But it is DEET....

On our last trip to Utila in May we were flying from Roatan with the to-be local Utila doctor. She actually came to the resort and gave my wife a vitamin B shot. That worked amazingly well for her. I'd try that again.

That's what I was looking for. Starting to round up items for the trip....oh yeah, getting close!

I have used the following products with great success numerous times. I got no bites while others looked like they had measles or chicken pox. I spray at least one set of clothes (usually one’s I would wear at night) with Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Amazon.com : Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 12-Ounce : Mosquito Repellent For Clothes : Sports & Outdoors. I use Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent 20-Percent Picaridin http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premiu...UTF8&qid=1402578034&sr=1-11&keywords=sawyer's as a bug spray. This product does not harm dive equipment or plastic the way deet does , it’s slightly citris scented, and drys rather than being greasy. I also take B vitamins for a different reason but that seems to help.

A fun fact or two about DEET that vey few know about...

The percentage of DEET as shown in the can? This is only a measure of how long an application will remain effective after X hours of normal bodily perspiration.

So, if you are just using it for a few hours (between dives), you don't need the high priced 100%, you can get away with the much cheaper 20% type.

Contrary to internet tales, there has never been any positive scientific test that shows that DEET is harmful to Corals. But hey... Shower any such goo off before you get on the dive boat... Why not?

in regards to Kharons post above, it is the inert (non DEET) ingredient in the spray that can and will cause havoc with plastics... Low-end watch crystals and horror of all horrors- lens dome ports on your more exotic $$$ camera housings... I seen it :(

I like those big sippy-cup mugs that you get at the local Stop-and-Rob gas stations. The silk screened paint job became semi-permanently transferred to my DEET sprayed forearm. Same for similar printing on t-shirts!

i am done breeding, no longer transmitting my DNA (although I still fleetingly recall "the urge to merge"), so if it's good enough for the US Military, I now drink my DEET mixed with Flor De Cana Rum.

There are sand fleas anywhere South of the Mason-Dixon Line, but the Bay Islands have the very best sand flies you can find anywhere. So there's that.

Try whatever you like but good luck. For me, I prefer long lasting DEET products, perhaps, oiled up on my calfs, ankles and feet too. I bring along a prescription antihistamine and a bunch of cortizone cream. I've even been bitten when double draped in fine mesh bug netting. You'll recognize me because i look like I've had a very bad case of chicken pox. BUT that's not on EVERY trip. Every once in a blue moon, the bugs seem a bit less fierce and that always leaves me optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom