Building a Better BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - WTX-D18 Single Cylinder Wing
This is what I liked. and no nasty STA !

donuts_18_side.jpgdonuts_18_front_editor.jpg

I agree the plate is nice as good as an Halcyon and the harness I my opinion is better than Halcyons and others that I have seen. I really like the size of the D-rings.

Don't think it is fair to say the Harness on the Apeks is better....If you buy the bp/wing for a Halcyon, or an Apeks, at a dive shop with no one that works there that is highly skilled at custom adjusting the harness to you...or, if you don't know a GUE instructor that can custom adjust it...then, yeah, in this situation, the Halcyon harness NEEDS custom adjustment for most people, and most people can not intuitively figure out how to adjust the Halcyon harness...
Now there are many videos that can get some people dead on, and many quite close.....but ideally, you really need someone that fits these as well as a GUE instructor....The Apeks can be made to fit with a bare minimum of skills...

On the other hand, the Halcyon harness, when fit properly, can be perfect for you for well over 20 years and still be like new....the one i started with in 1997 ( whatever year was the first for Halcyon), is still as good as new.....if it had all the buckles and plastic stuff on it that the Apeks does, it would have been broken several times in the lifetime :)

Don't think it is fair to say the Harness on the Apeks is better....If you buy the bp/wing for a Halcyon, or an Apeks, at a dive shop with no one that works there that is highly skilled at custom adjusting the harness to you...or, if you don't know a GUE instructor that can custom adjust it...then, yeah, in this situation, the Halcyon harness NEEDS custom adjustment for most people, and most people can not intuitively figure out how to adjust the Halcyon harness...
Now there are many videos that can get some people dead on, and many quite close.....but ideally, you really need someone that fits these as well as a GUE instructor....The Apeks can be made to fit with a bare minimum of skills...

On the other hand, the Halcyon harness, when fit properly, can be perfect for you for well over 20 years and still be like new....the one i started with in 1997 ( whatever year was the first for Halcyon), is still as good as new.....if it had all the buckles and plastic stuff on it that the Apeks does, it would have been broken several times in the lifetime :)

deluxe_webbed_harness.png

I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about the Apeks Hog harness which is a basic harness with a few more bells and whistles like shoulder pads and a few extra d-rings which can be deleted. It needs to be set up the same way as any other Hogarthian harness. In my opinion the quality of hardware is better on the Apeks and I think the pockets are nicer too. However, I have the older style Halcyon pockets the newer ones may be better. I do own both so I think I can make a fair comparison. I picked up the Apeks cheap on eBay because I wanted a travel setup that if it gets stolen I am not going to cry. I was impressed with the plate, the harness and the pockets, the wing less so due to its massive size, it is just too big for tropical diving.

Back
Top Bottom