Building up lung strength / capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asking if you can improve your breathing underwater by increasing work of breathing on your regulator is kind of like asking if you can improve your sex life by repeatedly kicking yourself in the nuts.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Ok, have done some reading and yeah, the articles seem to all say the same thing. That it's a waste of time. Back to the running!!! :D

Ok, have done some reading and yeah, the articles seem to all say the same thing. That it's a waste of time. Back to the running!!! :D

More than a waste of time, it is DANGEROUS. For whatever reason, that message, repeatedly stated in this thread, doesn't seem to be registering. CO2 can be incapacitating. Increased resistance generally results in increased CO2 retention. When combined with work, even further CO2 retention results. When combined with narcosis, even further incapacitation results.

Make sense?

My initial question wasn't about increasing bottom time or reducing air consumption actually.

Mine has continued to fall very slowly and I'm sure I'm not getting fitter (because age is starting to be a factor). I think it's just because I'm relaxing more & more and also becoming more relaxed throughout all stages of the dive & each dive.

So stop worrying about your SAC and that in itself might bring your SAC down! Work on things you can change, like being more skillfully competent, more mentally compent (for explanation read "The Six Skills") and gaining experience in general. Do these things and I think you'll find your SAC went down too.

Back
Top Bottom