Bull Sharks, as dangerous as they say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY once bubbled...
I don't know if this would constitute aggressive behaviour but from some of the comments it would sound best to err on the side of caution!

I believe bullsharks exhibit aggressive behavior with pecs down and arched back, but this is not always easy to see.

I know for a fact they exhibit aggressive behavior by rapidly and erratically swimming at you and away; this manifestation is unmistakable. And when I say "swimming at you and away", I don't mean far away, they can turn around within their own body length.

Been there, done that, have the skid mark in my wetsuit :)

If you do want to see them if you're there (don't know how sensible it is to go too close!) I always saw them at Chumpon pinnacle which is about 45mins hardboat ride from Mae Haad. This would be on almost every dive i did on chumpon pinnacle over this season.

If you want to see them there the best place is around a series of rocks called Barracuda rock, in particular around the fish traps out towards the end.
There were a number of grey reef sharks which look at first glance very similar to bull sharks at this site.

If anyone does dive this site and wants to see sharks they would need to get away from the main pinnacle itself as after 9.00 am it is mobbed by divers who disturb the sharks.

I came across 8 bull sharks on one dive at the Chumphon Pinnacle in late July and although we were quite close we were left alone. One big male came to check us out briefly but left us alone.
That said there seemed to be some sort of mating display going on so perhaps there were other things on their minds than eating :)

I did a dive on the Chumpon Pinnacles on Koh Tao with a 2.5 meter Bull Shark. It was amazing. Very thick sharks. I did not sense any hostile or aggressive behavior. I was almost within reach of it, not that I would have touched it. I have had the luck to dive with many species around the world including white tips, black tips, nurse, and a 9 meter whale shark. I have had no problems. In fact my encounters just make me want to see more and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom