Burping wetsuit or neoprene hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishWatcher747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am I the only one that finds air leaking out of either a full wetsuit or neoprene hood annoying and loud? Not sure if it is the wetsuit or the hood . Some dives it is worse than others.

I don't see any threads on this topic. Is there a technique to get the air out of a hood or wetsuit at the beginning of the dive to avoid this annoyance?

Am I the only one that finds air leaking out of either a full wetsuit or neoprene hood annoying and loud? Not sure if it is the wetsuit or the hood . Some dives it is worse than others.

I don't see any threads on this topic. Is there a technique to get the air out of a hood or wetsuit at the beginning of the dive to avoid this annoyance?

Not sure about the wetsuit..but air gets in my hood every now and then and I have to “burp” it.

So annoying. I try to buy vented hoods but if they don’t come with a quick stab with the knife usually solves the problem. It’s probably because I have a big moustache and am always clearing the mask.

You can also lay on your back and look up and the bubbles should vent from the hood at the top of mask interface.

You may also be exhaling out your nose during the dive and if that excess air gets captured by the hood, you will have constant problems. Even doing that a little will cause you continued annoyance.

My semidry wetsuit has an attached hood with a very tight face seal. I found that every now and then it creates a little vacuum in the space between the hood and the inside of my outer ear. I used a hollow 1/8" hole punch to poke a hole on each one, and now it never traps air in my ear. I have not noticed it being any colder.

You might try poking a tiny hole in the top of the hood to allow air. I would expect right around the hair whorl to be the ideal location. I would not recommend using a drill for this, but either a hollow hole-punch or a red-hot awl to melt the neoprene should do the trick.

Cheers

My semi dry requires me to hang out at the top before I drop to ensure the air has worked its way out. Full beard and mustache means I clear a little more than smooth faced folk. The hood on my suit fortunately vents pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom