Buyer Beware - Nauticam Multipurpose Clamp w/Shackle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscott556

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I lost my camera when one of the shackles failed, sending my camera to the bottom of the ocean without my knowledge. Luckily, the camera was found a couple weeks later and returned. Read the original thread here - Lost camera off of Jupiter, FL.

I contacted Nauticam to express my disappointment in their product and to request a replacement clamp or shackle. Their response to the failure so far was that since the shackle was designed to unscrew, it wasn't a failure and better luck next time. What a poor design, that a product advertised as a secure attachment point comes apart so easily. Why does it come apart at all? Shouldn't they put Loctite or something similar on the threads so it at least wouldn't work its way out on its own?

Unbelievable.

Attachments

• pic2e.jpg
    pic2e.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 528
The clamps have threads and can fall off the ball head if not tight, the ball head is held to the grip by an thread and can fall off if not tight, the grip is secured to the tray by threads and can fall off if not tight, the tray is held to the housing by threads and can fall off if not tight and none of these threads are held in place by loctite. This is a maintenance issue not an issue for ANY manufacturer. The shackles are meant to be removed just like all of the other parts for cleaning. The clips that hold the housing to your BCD can also fail and I think the best way to insure that you don't loose any housing is to always hold on to it and use a wrist strap.

Nice to see that the housing was recovered.

Phil Rudin

I lost my camera when one of the shackles failed, sending my camera to the bottom of the ocean without my knowledge. Luckily, the camera was found a couple weeks later and returned. Read the original thread here - Lost camera off of Jupiter, FL.

I contacted Nauticam to express my disappointment in their product and to request a replacement clamp or shackle. Their response to the failure so far was that since the shackle was designed to unscrew, it wasn't a failure and better luck next time. What a poor design, that a product advertised as a secure attachment point comes apart so easily. Why does it come apart at all? Shouldn't they put Loctite or something similar on the threads so it at least wouldn't work its way out on its own?

Unbelievable.

I would recommend you use some Loctite on the thread of the fastener, the 680 Green is a pretty much a Permanent solution (you would need to really heat it up high to break its bond), but the 271 (red) is not permanent and will lock the fastener also, there is also the 222MS (pink) that is useful for gumming up the thread and preventing the fastener from coming loose easily, it is non permanent and you can remove the fastener at anytime, any of the three versions will definitely make these shackles safer to use.

I would recommend you use some Loctite on the thread of the fastener, the 680 Green is a pretty much a Permanent solution (you would need to really heat it up high to break its bond), but the 271 (red) is not permanent and will lock the fastener also, there is also the 222MS (pink) that is useful for gumming up the thread and preventing the fastener from coming loose easily, it is non permanent and you can remove the fastener at anytime, any of the three versions will definitely make these shackles safer to use.
I definitely will from now on. I'm surprised that it came off so easy though. I stand behind my statement that it is a ****ty design. Due to the situation that day I was not able to hold onto it like usual.

Thanks btw, your response was much more useful than anything from Nauticam. Aquatica +1, Nauticam 0 :wink:

You might want to move to something like this its a lot more secure than the shackles you are usingImageUploadedByTapatalk1377810615.937248.jpg

Rat-man. You can tell the quality of a company by their customer service. Light Monkey replaced a lockdown screw on one of my reels when it was lost, mostly due to operator error that I readily admitted to. In fact they send me two...at no charge.

Same sort of shackle holds my anchor to my anchor rode. Keep 'em tight. BUT use two. I always keep my housing attached by two lanyards. I've had one fail and lost the rig.

I've been in contact w/Alan Egan of Nauticam USA and he refuses to acknowledge that the unit failed. Furthermore, he refuses to at least send me a replacement shackle. I'll remember this when it comes time to upgrade. :shakehead:

Interesting.....my better half is currently in the market for a housing...Ill tell her to look elsewhere...one thing I cant stand is sub par customer service.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom