Buying a BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have thoughts on purchasing a BCD. This will be my first BCD. Is it best to get a back inflate or jacket style. I looked at the new Aqualung Zuma back inflate and liked the feel. Any thoughts and it's only $395.

I would suggest buying one from a local dive shop; Atlantic Edge has a price match policy so if you find a good price online they will match it at the store. The benefit of buying from the store is you can go try it on and also get the support and warranty that you most likely won’t get when buying online.

I second the BP/W. Which is Back plate and wing. You can search that topic and will come up with lots of info on BP/W vs BCD.

I've personally looked at the Aqualung Zuma. I haven't dove with one yet...that is next. It is a nice travel BC. I don't know if I'd really recommended it for local diving. Are you diving locally or do you pretty much travel to nice warm spots?

I looked at the Zuma a while back and my first impression of it was it is built too light even for a travel BC and at the same time had a lot of unnecessary padding and fluff. At $400 it's pricey as well. As a travel BC it would be OK but if you intend to dive it a lot, you would be much better served with one of the lower end Zeagles. I much prefer a back inflate BC to a jacket style BC but I really don't care for the BP/wings. Tried them and was underwhelmed, plus they tend to be expensive

A beefier travel BC, my dream travel BC would be the SS Oxycheq Travel Plate, with a simple one piece harness and a Mach V 30# wing, a single tank adapter, and Oxycheq makes this sausage that bolts on the inside of the plate that can hold up to 6#'s.

Scuba Center | OxyCheq Harnesses & Backplates | Stainless Steel Backplates, Colored Aluminum Plates, Hogarthian Harnesses, Adjustable Webbing Harnesses,...
Scuba Center | OxyCheq Buoyancy Compensator Accessories

And no, I'm not a rep for Oxycheq. I just like their stuff.:D

I have 2 BP's & a couple of wings to suit any of my diving needs, but I also have a Zeagle Ranger that for single tank diving is pretty nice.
Easy to put on & remove in any situation, plus weight pockets that make a belt unnecessary.
Oh all my wings (3) are Oxycheq also, very good stuff

BP/Ws, back inflate and jacket BCs are all very different inthe water. I reccomend that you try all three as it is a very expensive gamble if you buy one without ever diving it. Back inflates are more comfortable but can take some getting used to as far as dumping air. They will also put your face in the water if you over inflate at the surface. A jacket will keep you nice and upright on the surface but will squeeze you. Under water the dump air easily but are bulky.

I have dove all for several years each. I finally landed on the BP/W because I like the simplicity. I also have only Oxycheq wings, the Mach V for single tank diving and the Vertex for doubles. If you end up with BP/W for single tank I recommend the Mach V because it will not flop around on you.

Get the bc that makes you feel the most comfortable in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom