Buying a new or used GoPro video camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigershark007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering if there are any issues with buying a used GoPro camera or is it better to just buy knew? For instance on ebay you can get the older models much cheaper then the newest model say at Walmart for around $299. Is there a huge difference in the GoPro cameras and if so is the newest one with 60 fps /1800p the best option. I asking is there a big difference like the from the 30 fps /1080p or the 60 fps / 1080p. Can buying a new one really get you that better of a picture then a used older model? All input is greatly apprciated!

Nothing wrong with the older models, I still have a HERO2 that works great and the image quality is very satisfactory. The problem of buying an used camera from eBay is that you really don't know what the camera has been through. The battery can be replaced easily and it's cheap, but the camera might have suffered a lot of abuse.. Salt water corrosion? Fell too many times? Moisture trapped inside?

My suggestion would be to buy a new or possibly used (if you can inspect it) Hero 4 Silver. Maybe check your local Craigslist. I recently got one and love it. Might be able to score a deal locally from someone who is desperate for quick cash.

The chances are that an older model is listed on eBay because the owner upgraded to a newer model, not because of a problem with it. So while there is always the chance of getting burned, I think the risk is low. But the improvements have been significant. So unless the cost difference puts a newer model out of reach, I wouldn't bother. There are only 2 kinds of cameras. Those that are obsolete, and those that haven't been released yet.

Unless you are getting a real steal or the seller has a really good track record, I would be wary. I love to save money but $250 to save $100 is taking on a lot of risk for money. Abuse, flooding and unknown history of electronics to me makes a bad purchase a real possibility. I camera's and housings are so prone to failure I would either invest in a good knock off or spend the extra money and go with the new real deal. a Hero 3 silver can be gotten new off amazon for $250. Why spend almost the same on an unknown used camera?
Unsold inventory for older models is often floating around at decent prices, that is a much safer deal than similar used cameras.

Unless you are getting a real steal or the seller has a really good track record, I would be wary. I love to save money but $250 to save $100 is taking on a lot of risk for money. Abuse, flooding and unknown history of electronics to me makes a bad purchase a real possibility. I camera's and housings are so prone to failure I would either invest in a good knock off or spend the extra money and go with the new real deal. a Hero 3 silver can be gotten new off amazon for $250. Why spend almost the same on an unknown used camera? Unsold inventory for older models is often floating around at decent prices, that is a much safer deal than similar used cameras.
Thanks for the input, I didn't think about looking at Amazon, I know buying used you never what the item condition truly is until you receive it. But I get what your saying that even though its cheaper, the seller could say all is good with the product, but really not letting you know how they handled it and treated it. With the Hero 3 Silver, does it come with a waterproof case or is that seperate? What is the best way to attach it to a diver? Head strap, wrist strap, hand held pole, attaching to BC? Any input on this because I have seen so many different ways to attach it to stuff, and would like to be able to dive without having to hold it in my hand the whole time.

Thanks for the input, I didn't think about looking at Amazon, I know buying used you never what the item condition truly is until you receive it. But I get what your saying that even though its cheaper, the seller could say all is good with the product, but really not letting you know how they handled it and treated it. With the Hero 3 Silver, does it come with a waterproof case or is that seperate? What is the best way to attach it to a diver? Head strap, wrist strap, hand held pole, attaching to BC? Any input on this because I have seen so many different ways to attach it to stuff, and would like to be able to dive without having to hold it in my hand the whole time.

I use a PVC pole for my camera. A comfortable grip is probably an asset. You can get a pole mount so you can do selfies. Head mounts sound like a great idea, but they move all over the place and fall off frequently (make sure there is a lanyard on the camera at all times. I really focus on camera stability when I am filming, so look at everything from the perspective of how to keep it stable. I now use a editing package that allows for image stabilization additionally. The standard case for the gopro is rated to 30 meters so It would be a good start. others might recommend the dive housing if you are planning on deeper dives. I would recommend also ordering spare battery and red filter to bring back the reds, and you can get a bunch of mounts for a modest amount extra. I put a sock over the camera when it is not in use to protect the lens port from scratches.

I use a PVC pole for my camera. A comfortable grip is probably an asset. You can get a pole mount so you can do selfies. Head mounts sound like a great idea, but they move all over the place and fall off frequently (make sure there is a lanyard on the camera at all times. I really focus on camera stability when I am filming, so look at everything from the perspective of how to keep it stable. I now use a editing package that allows for image stabilization additionally. The standard case for the gopro is rated to 30 meters so It would be a good start. others might recommend the dive housing if you are planning on deeper dives. I would recommend also ordering spare battery and red filter to bring back the reds, and you can get a bunch of mounts for a modest amount extra. I put a sock over the camera when it is not in use to protect the lens port from scratches.

Those are some really great ideas and recommendation. I will defiantly look more into each type of mount, because I would like it to be pretty stable as I film as well. Also the red filter defiantly would be a plus, due to the reds are basically gone when underwater!

I buy some additional equipment for action camera on ebay or amazon and sometimes used, but camera itself I prefer to buy new or from real good friend, who will tell me true history.
The biggest issue with used camera is flooding. It may happened by your mistake or issue with camera.
So only after first dive you will know the status, but in most cases you will not be able to complain, because it may be also your fault.

So long as you get an explicit representation of condition prior to putting out your money, you have pretty close to zero risk of getting burned buying on eBay, due to their Buyer-friendly protection policies. So, if you have any concerns about condition or history, get those questions answered prior to bidding/buying, or at least prior to paying. In addition, many sellers offer elective returns, where the most you'll be out is the cost of shipping one or both directions.

I still am using my 1st generation model. Each subsequent model offered something more, which may or may not be important enough to you to justify the extra cost. The 1st gens required an aftermarket solution to the OEM lens's poor U/W focus, has 60fps only at 720p, and had minor vignetting at some settings (underwater) and when using standard add-on filters. I believe those issues were all solved at Gen 2. I understand stills quality improved through the generations as well.

For watching on a PC or typical TV, while I think 60fps is an absolute requirement for pleasing U/W motion video, I don't notice any quality deficiency at 720p, but specs tend to generate their own market demand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom