Buying cheap Regulator Set??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from my research on Google explosive regs cost alot more then nonexplosive. ?? just dont see the recen behind nonexplosive

thanks for the info on regular regulators though.

Hey ermaclob,

Where are you from (if you don't mind me asking). Your profile is a little empty. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of error in translation going on. Diving with an "explosive" reg is a completely different thing compared to diving with an "expensive" reg.

Where in the world do you guys have your regs serviced? I've never paid more than 35 to 45 dollars for servicing, parts included!

Depends on regulator brand and location. It seems like an "average", if such a thing exists, is about $15 - $25 per stage for labor. Parts, if not covered by warranty, can be $8 - $20 per stage (retail), sometimes more. But it really varies from shop to shop.

Best wishes.

start thinking "value" rather than "cheap"

Sometimes people use an octo/alt 2nd stage of the same quality as their primary, possibly detuned a bit to help prevent freeflows. And sometimes they chose cheaper ones. If you are looking at something advertised as an octo that's pretty cheap compared to a 2nd stage advertised as a primary, chances are it is going to be not as easy to breath from and not something you'd really want to be using all the time. (Or you may be comparing apples vs oranges. 1st and primary 2nd stages are often packaged and priced together, while octos it's just a 2nd stage.)

Pretty much any BC from a major manufacturer will be "good" as in it will work just fine. It's really a question of whether it fits you properly (very important) and you like it. If you focus only on price, instead of figuring out what would be best for you then trying to get the best deal on something like that, there is a much higher chance you will discover you don't like it very much and want to replace it - which will wind up costing you more.

Hey ermaclob,

Where are you from (if you don't mind me asking). Your profile is a little empty. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of error in translation going on. Diving with an "explosive" reg is a completely different thing compared to diving with an "expensive" reg.

I think you may be right, some translation errors.
explosive- bombs and fire works are explosive
expensive- cost a lot like diamond rings....and the women they are hooked to. :)

I will just add that the inexpensive (cost little) octos are pretty bad preforming regulators. They will supply you air but are not good to breath from for a long period of time. You really do not want one as your primary regulator and I personally do not one as my octo. In my opinion, a used set of regs that are the middle price range models from one of the major brands (Apeks, Aqualung, Oceanic, Sherwood, Cressi, Scubapro, Zeagle to list a few, there are more) is a much better investment than cheap (inexpensive) brands.

One thing that I personally didn't realize when I started looking into getting regs is the service. Regs should be serviced every year and will cost anywhere from $80 - $150 (I'm sure others could be more specific).

Where do you get your regs serviced?
I've never EVER paid more than $75.00 total to have ALL THREE stages of my regs serviced.

Stop scaring the poor guy.

I'm just about to finish my open water cert. and am thinking on buying equipment after words. i would like to know if anyone knows a brand or place that sells an affordable regulator set (1st stage, 2x second stage, depth/psi gage), or if it would be cheaper to buy separately.

my optimistic price range is 150-220 dollars...... but realistically 230-280

all i can fined in google is 300+:shakehead::(

also is this a good BCD; "Tusa 2100 BCD" (no url posting yet)

thanks

EDIT: seems i incompatibly put this post in the wrong place, if an Admin. sees this erase if needed, i cant seem to do it. my bad:depressed:

Back in 2001 when I bought my first set of gear I went with TUSA Imprex Pro BCD and RS130 regulator. Both provided me with all the performance and reliability I needed for about 2-1/2 years ... roughly 600 dives ... at which time I replaced them with gear that was more suitable for the type of diving I was getting into at the time.

Your "realistic" price range for a reg set can get you a decent first and second stage setup for recreational level diving ... but it won't get you a complete reg set. You'll still need to add a backup second stage, some kind of depth gauge or computer, and an SPG.

Shop around for "specials" ... I'd definitely recommend checking out ScubaToys website and keeping a close eye on sales, both online and in your area.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

??????let me ask, this has been bothering me for a wile...what is the differences between 2nd stage and alternative air 2nd stages other then color and purpose. alternative seem cheaper cant i just buy 2 cheaper yellow ones?

Many are the same and as mentioned above detuned so they avoid free-flowing and usually with some different coloring. The cheaper octos are often built to be rugged but not breath on as easily. Most recreational divers will never use their octos other than practicing so for many they see no reason to have a higher end reg for an octo. It just needs to work when you need it. I personally keep my reg/octo in the same line so they can be serviced together with the same manu kits, but that is strictly a preference/convenience thing.

Virtually every reg/octo sold by a major manufacturer is going to work well and be reliable within the manufacturer stated limits. What you are buying on the higher end is ease of breathing, features such as cold water use, lighter materials and often name branding.

Scubatoys is $50 course you might have to pay shipping, but still will be under $75.

Plus parts (unless the regulator is under warranty).

Scubatoys is on the lower end of the $15 -$25 cost per stage labor figure I mentioned. I've also read good things about the quality of their service. They are who I would use if I didn't service my own regs.

Best wishes.

One thing that I personally didn't realize when I started looking into getting regs is the service. Regs should be serviced every year and will cost anywhere from $80 - $150 (I'm sure others could be more specific).
I "just" picked my regs up from my LDS after getting them serviced. He's raised his rates to $40 for the 1st stage, $25 for the 2nd. So triple this because I've got my primary regs, my pony bottle regs, my argon bottle 1st stage, and my Air-2 2nd stage. Then he charged me $6 - $20 each for the repair kits for each stage. Then I got nailed for $25 for shipping & handling on the repair kits :-(

The good news is that Atomic Aquatics has a 2-year maintenance program on their regs.

Buy quality. You need your regs to live so don't buy cheap.
I'm a huge advocate for this mindset

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom