Buying gear online: good or evil?

Does buying online harm the diving community?

• Buying online is the future. Dive stores need to adapt or close up shop

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • You have a choice. Online = cheaper goods, but less personal service and warranty support

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • Buying online will eventually destroy diving as we know it. Only bad people do it

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • What? You can get dive gear online...?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a cigar aficionado and we've been going down this road for a great many years. In cigar land it has more impact because many states have exorbitant tobacco taxes (39% in NY)that are not applicable for online sales (this is not sales tax). My practice has been about 50/50. Often keeping a relationship with my local tobacconist gets me all sorts of sweet opportunities such as exclusive dinners, access to very rare and unusual cigars, a place to smoke when the weather is not conducive to outdoor smoking... etc. Online gets you great prices (most recently I bought a box of cigars online for just under $100 that I had previously bought locally for over $230!).

Here's how the cigar industry has handled it. The perks you get form the local shops seem to be getting better and better and to a degree the prices have adapted. Cigar buyers need to understand there may be a premium to be paid at your local shop, but it comes with it's rewards.
In diving it seems to be a little different. I actually feel fear regarding taking my online purchase to my local shop & have been warned that it would not go well as I spoke recently with a shop out of state about buying a regulator they had for sale (for almost $200 less). My local guy is also quite happy to express how he feels about online purchases. But how does one justify paying hundreds of dollars more just so "joe blow" wont get mad?
My cigar budget is now around 50/50, online vs local.
Interestingly enough, just like with dive equipment, the online shops are someone's local shops. For instance, Liesurepro is located around 1 mile from my office. But it's not the place I'd use for repairs, maintenance and air.

As a consumer it is my responsibility to spend my money in a way that is the most beneficial to me.

I think this is a key philosophy. Some are very comfortable with buying items with blurbs and pictures. Some need a little more hand-holding. Neither consumer is wrong, but the price for each level of service is and should be different (this is assuming [I know, this is dangerous/subjective] that the assistance is competent, which is an entirely different thread).

I have no problem internet shopping for snap clips and stainless steel bolts. I am a bit unsure with my self-measurements on custom drysuits. I will spend according to what I need/want & according to the amount of expertise/service that is associated to the purchase.

not to hijack; but just happened to complete a big order from joe @ scubatoys - marvelous service AND very personalized even he helped with securing stuff they not usually carry on the site.

Just today I was reading a thread by a guy who was basing all his gear buying decisions on reviews he was reading online. For better or worse, new divers are coming into the sport with a background as online shoppers and to expect them to suddenly stop shopping online for things they need isn't going to work.

Unfortunately the dive shops add a lot of value in services they don't currently make a profit on:
- gear selection advice
- ability to try things on to see what fits (especially for masks)
- gas fills
- equipment rentals (actually I don't know how profitable this part is, but I doubt it's a lot)
- classes
- equipment service

One thing dive shops add value to that they do make a small profit from:
- accessory sales (items not worth buying online by themselves because of shipping costs)

I think the best new dive shop business model would be to incorporate only the list above and eliminate the major gear sales. The problem is the costs of all of those items will go up so such a shop could make up the profits they're no longer making from equipment sales.

Since we are a full service "Click and Mortar" dive center, I see both sides. Yes, I do believe that all Dive Centers need an online presence that can work for them 24/7. Locally the one's that cannot/will not do this are just hanging on, and it's probably only a matter of time before they are gone. At the same time, just being internet is also a loss. You need to service your local divers, and let's face it - by selling online, we move more volume and are able to pass that savings on to our walk in customers. This is in addition to being able to give them that one on one personal touch. I believe this is the future, and the future is here NOW.
Take care & Happy Holidays,
George

I am in the sales business (not dive related) and I will tell you that ALL sales businesses need to realize that internet sales are here to stay and ALL better adapt in some way. That means you may have to adjust your prices to be reasonably competitive. If you don't have a well trained knowledgeable sales staff you better make that a priority. If you don't have a broad selection of merchandise you need to consider expanding it. You need to have a service department. If you don't offer service and related parts you have no more to offer than an internet store.

My point is that the LDS will need to adapt if they want to grow. I purchased all of my gear from my local LDS. I have purchased a few smaller items off of the internet. I am in a rural area so it is a 60 mile drive to the nearest shop in southern Illinois where I bought my gear. It is 120 miles to the St Louis dive shops. Some of the employees at St Louis were very good and some were not educated at all about dive gear.

I shop both ways. For big ticket items I have always gone to my LDS. You can't beat the idea of putting your hands on something before you buy. I have been steered away from bad purchase decisions in the past, in this industry as well as others.

For little stuff, accessories etc, I shop online mostly. Of course the gadget racks in the shops have preyed on my wallet more than once as well. I like going into a store, but I also like the convenience of online shopping.

The poll, like most online polls, does not have my answer:

I prefer to patronize local stores because they make up a part of my local community. They provide personal service, and when I spend with them, they spend that money back in my community. Big-box and on-line stores take money out of the community. Fire departments, trash collection, street cleaning and maintenance, schools, all depend on the economic health of the local community.

The poster above who asserts that a "responsible consumer" buys only where the price is lowest is ignoring the hidden costs of sending your consumer dollars out of your community.

Local stores provide services on-line stores cannot, and big-box stores don't.

Buying only from the cheapest sellers also helps to undercut wage levels. In my view, undercutting local wages hurts everyone. Maybe you think your own job is safe, but it may depend on a healthy local economy so that people can afford the goods or services your job provides. One dive shop going bankrupt is not going to change much, but the Walmart mindset erodes the fabric of a local economy.

That said, I do not believe that only bad people buy on line, as one of the poll choices suggested. I buy on line if something I want is not available at a locally-owned merchant. (I do not consider chain big-box stores to be "local.")

My buying habits:

First choice: locally-owned store.
Second choice: small chain store.
Third choice: internet.
NEVER: Walmart.

Some things I buy are only available over the internet, such as audio book downloads and academic lecture series downloads (e.g. The Teaching Company).

I bought my reg, octo, and computer from my local dive shop. I paid more than the on-line discount places, but I know I'll get quality service. And when it comes to my regulator, I don't want to take any chances.

Daniel

Buying online has saved me thousands of pounds over the years - money i could then use to actually go diving! Long may it continue.

from a consumer point of view; i cannot see how ordering anything online differs from ordering a home delivered meal!
If e-commerce is/has hurt economy or altered purchasing power of buyers in anyway or anywhere; we would've found many governments ban them; actual case on the contrary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom