buying my first BCD (or semi-wing) - please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clair -- If you go the "traditional" BCD route (either wrap around or back inflate) make sure it will fit over both the 5mm and the layered 14mm suit AND that the wing has sufficient lift for the 14mm suit.

Regarding pockets with a BP/W syste"m -- basically there are three options:

a. Accessory pocket that you put on the waist band;

b. Add on shorts that fit over your suit that have pockets; or

c. Put pockets onto your suit.

I have not used option "a" but have used very successfully options "b" and "c."

Decisions, decisions....

I wonder if BP/W mfr. really want to market to recreational divers. Do they see a return on their time and $ investment from the recreational market ?

For example, what if they or their dealers pre-assembled everything and the end user only had to trim the webbing and adjust the position of the hardware ? For around $500 you can buy a fully assembled jacket or back inflate BCD, ready to dive, or a BP/W. For regular BP/W users it's not a big deal, but to the average recreational diver, it's a little intimidating to receive a bag of hardware, webbing, wing, metal plate, crotch strap, all loose.

The average consumer comparing the 2, see's a fully assembled and manufactured product vs. a box of loose parts.

BTW, I happily dive a BP/W.

I offer the option of a fully assembled rig at no extra cost. All they need to do is thread the cam straps and do the final adjustments. If I have height, weight, and general build or measurements I can get it pretty close. Having assembled dozens of them it's not that hard. Many divers though like to set their own up. It helps them to "own" the rig.

143 bucks for an all plate is nuts. 74 for a harness? Wow.

The list on the HOG AL plate is $120 and $80 for the harness.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 08:13 AM ----------

Yes, X-Tek is very X-pensive.

HOG is not too far behind anymore. :depressed:

I offer the option of a fully assembled rig at no extra cost. All they need to do is thread the cam straps and do the final adjustments. If I have height, weight, and general build or measurements I can get it pretty close. Having assembled dozens of them it's not that hard. Many divers though like to set their own up. It helps them to "own" the rig.

Nice. Perfect option so you can cater to 1st timers as well as experienced or DIY types.

For example, what if they or their dealers pre-assembled everything and the end user only had to trim the webbing and adjust the position of the hardware ? For around $500 you can buy a fully assembled jacket or back inflate BCD, ready to dive, or a BP/W. For regular BP/W users it's not a big deal, but to the average recreational diver, it's a little intimidating to receive a bag of hardware, webbing, wing, metal plate, crotch strap, all loose.

Personal i think that basic wing is the most simplest thing you can put on and the same time most transparent part of equipment to find possible failure ( probably also show the maximum number of pieces that are mostly available in every store with diving equipment without the need for special service ) true or not true experts ?

Price is somewhat artificially raised because you do not want competitors to each other crop prices. The starting point for the high price are Halcyon products that are at the height of mythological price iPod.

Critical component is only backplate and wing itself with inflator ( harness can be bought for cca 60€ ) .

At BP/W is only catch that is very good to get first times someone which CAN adjust harness in right way ... that is most important before buy ( because there are hidden tricks right because its ''simplicity '' )

I think that in Netherlands for ClairevL is a lot of divers which can simply broke all that negative myths to the wings and its complexity and also offer her wing for test and probably also used

for
passable price which are normally good as new one ( try that with cressi , mares crap literary ) . Try at DIR Diving here is also big and ready to help divers community from

Netherlands.

Netherlands should have access to everything that is CE approved.

Most of the guys on this side of the pond will ship anywhere, the plates and harnesses are largely the same, though I do have a fondness for the grommets moulded onto the DSS plates as well as the flatter profile for singles. The wings are also largely the same for most peoples use, so it becomes whatever is available and cheap. I know DSS has a dealer in England so they're approved for use over there, but you can buy directly from Tobin and likely save the VAT.

Check used, as stated, there isn't much to go wrong with them over use, so wouldn't have an issue buying used.

Back
Top Bottom