Buying underwater housing for D5100 or buy different body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said above. The sad truth is the camera body is the part of the system that's going to cost you the most money over time, since it will change and die and on and on. One other thing to consider, especially if looking at a used system, is to try to pick up a second body before that model becomes completely obsolete. That way if the camera dies, or is flooded, you have a backup. Otherwise, you run the risk of owning a very expensive paper-weight which has no worth...

I agree with Ran though (who runs a great operation by the way, and I will happily endorse it!) to spend money on a new housing for an old camera is not a great idea at all...

Thanks so much for everyones useful comments! I ended up buying a used Nikon D7000 with ikelite housing. I use it with a Tokina 10-17mm and 2 DS125 strobes and TTL. I've tried it on 1 liveaboard trip and was quite happy with it. The whole thing is big and heavy to take on my trips, but for me it's worth it.
I really like the Nikon D7000. Compared to my D5100 the autofocus algorithm is quite a bit better, the battery lasts much longer and I was already satisfied with the Nikon D5100's sensor, which is the same as in the D7000.
The Ikelite housing is ok too, but not all buttons are easy to use. This could be a matter of getting used to.

[h=2]I posted this on the Canon site, but thought I would add the input if you are truly considering an Ikelite Housing for this camera or any other. Do youself a favor and purchase a good housing!

Ikelite 6D Housing[/h]
I purchased an Ikelite 6d Housing and 8inch dome and lens extension port thru Ocean Optical Sales since it was on sale. Sales there suggested I should consider the Nauticam but since I own a G-10 and G15 Ikelite housing along with a DS161 and DS51 housing and like the TTL, wanted to stay with Ikelite. Received the housing, port and extension and used it in a pool along with my new Canon 6d and Canon 17-40 lens. Dialed it in and then 2 days later went to Jupiter, FL to dive. First dive the silver lock that holds the strobe arm in the housing tray falls apart and strobe arm and strobe fall out of the handle. I hold the strobe arm in the tray for the balance of the dive. On deck, use zip ties to hold it in place. Second dive, going well then I notice some water in the housing. Moments later a complete flood. Send the housing, dome, extension, camera and lens to Ikelite thinking they would warrant it and send me a new camera and lens. Well they could not recreate the leak in the test environment which I assume is in a controlled environment. They also could not tell me what caused the leak. Therefore, they repaired the electronics on the housing sent it back and basically said sorry for your $2,000.00 loss on the camera and lens. Here is my fustration with Ikelite. If you examine the way the back of the housing connects to the main body, it would be nearly impossible in my opinion for that to leak. Having made a lot of dives with my G10 and G-15, I fell totally comfortable with that system. Now, look at the way the lens extension port connects with the housing. It is as cheap as one could ask for. Ikelite will tell you that properly connected, the 4 slip connections are not even necessary. I suppose if we dove in a bathtub that may be true but I dive in the ocean and rivers so that logic is totally not relevant. Having gotten the housing, port, and extension back and having purchased NEW a Canon 6d and another 17-40 lens at another $2,000.00 I have failed to use it again. I would like to add that I wanted Ikelite to take the housing back and refund me the cost of what I paid but they would not. They also would not reimburse me for the camera and lens. There is a reason that the Nauticam housing is more expensive and I understand why. Point and shoot Ikelite housings - no problem but a DSLR with their totally substandard port extension should be avoided at all costs. I'm sure there are satisfied Ikelite DSLR users out there and I would have liked to have been in that family!​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom