C&C - Pipe Sponges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jam,
When I photoshopped the picture, it seemed to have a lot of green and blue in it - maybe from the increased scattered light? Those were the two main adjustments I did.

In converting my RAW files, I have a way to tone down the highlights in RAWshooter. This is a great tool for me but for JPEG I don't have anything except selecting the bright areas and toning them down - I didn't take time to do that. You may be able to get a better shade of purple, I didn't know what it really looked like and did just a quick fix. Hope you can get it to your liking, its a nice picture.

Monkey - Yes, I was very close on my shots.. within a 1' to 2' at the most.. That does make a big difference getting nice clear shots..

Jamdiver - I really like this one.. Good color, the blue could go even deeper with 1/2 stop more maybe. You see how the blues change on your next one with the larger aperture. Its hard to say what you would have gotten if you only changed the shutter, but from what I see in my camera, the blue would have been close to the same but the subject would have gotten brighter.
214847364_de6f45887e.jpg

I guess I see everything as control light through aperture (since that is what it really is) and keeping in mind the DOF. Shutter I use once I get the blue where I want it because I can change the light on the subject with the shutter without changing the blue color much (at least with my camera).

alcina:
I, too, usually use the shutter speed to control my background. I use my aperture to control my DOF mostly.

I would have tried this shot this at something like 1/160 (maybe even faster to control my blues and try to minimize that blowout on the top of the sponge from the ambient light) with an f4.5 or 5.6 and used my flash. Then I would have tweaked from there. It's the perfect subject as it has a lot of interest, has multiple ways it can be captured AND doesn't move :wink: I would have turned the camera so the flash fell on the sponge but was limited with how much went out into open water (helping to reduce/mask any potential backscatter). Also come right just a touch to reduce the clutter on the right side and to free up the tip of the arm that is touching the outer frame.

MWB is a wonderful tool, but it will not produce the ZAPPY colours of adding light from your internal or external strobe - and that is the biggest difference I see between the two images.

Thank you :D!

Shouldn't you be studying instead of playing with your photos?:D

Back
Top Bottom