Calculating SAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is very similar to quite a few others ones that I have stumbled across in the archives here on ScubaBoard. For good reading, just enter "SAC formula" in the search box at the top of the page. This SAC/RMV, gas management topic always seems to get a lot of banter going back and forth.

Also, for more good reading, read Bob's article. NWGratefulDiver.com

A few months ago I was reading some of the other SAC/RMV threads and they sucessfully got me throughly confused after reading all of the back and forth about SAC, RMV and probably a half a dozen other issues concerning gas management. Luckily Bob's article really cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

This has been a recurring theme around here. Probably quite a few people who could offer something useful or are in need of good advice have left or just lurk because of it. I only have a couple posts because I don't feel like weeding through the smarmy, I'm smarter than you posts I'd receive if I asked a question.

Thanks for posting that. It helps to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Stuart you seem like a nice guy, certainly well educated but I implore you to grow a slightly thicker skin. You ask very good questions then get a little belligerent when the answer don't dovetail with your view of things. When you ask for advice you really need to be ready to accept it without reading too much into the tone of the writing. You are on your way to becoming a good, safe diver because you ask relevant questions you just need to relax and not personalize everything or read something nefarious in every comment directed at you.

Stuart you seem like a nice guy, certainly well educated but I implore you to grow a slightly thicker skin. You ask very good questions Thank you! then get a little belligerent when the answer don't dovetail with your view of things I hate it that I come across that way - when you interpret me as belligerent, all I feel like I can say is that, if we were face to face and I said the same things, I can almost PROMISE you that my tone of voice, body language, etc., would not come across as belligerent. When you ask for advice you really need to be ready to accept it without reading too much into the tone of the writing. I have been trying. It's the little straws that keep piling on that eventually start to bother me. You are on your way to becoming a good, safe diver because you ask relevant questions you just need to relax and not personalize everything or read something nefarious in every comment directed at you.

Thanks for the kind words and caring enough to try and help me get on a better path. I am going to try and do a complete reset on myself, put my past ScubaBoard feelings behind me, and do better at letting the occasional condescending remark pass by without provoking a response. Hopefully, as my education and experience grows, I will ask fewer questions that inspire such remarks!

This has been a recurring theme around here. Probably quite a few people who could offer something useful or are in need of good advice have left or just lurk because of it. I only have a couple posts because I don't feel like weeding through the smarmy, I'm smarter than you posts I'd receive if I asked a question.

Smarm, off-color comments, back-handed compliments, condescending replies, innuendo, oneupmanship and whatever else you want to throw in, real or imagined, is OK in small doses. Unfortunately, there are some warriors on SB that have an overdeveloped talent for it. Like you, I hate it (sometimes) when I'm on the receiving end of it. It would be better if everyone behaved. On the other hand maybe not. We would have to change the name of

ScubaBoard to ScubaBored

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom