California Dive Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolbersen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All!

I've been thinking about taking a Diving Tour of California some time this year with my divebuddy/girlfriend and need some help picking spots!

A little background on us: we have ~ 60 dives each, mostly in San Diego waters. We have dry suits and undies to handle the chillier water. We're both Deep certified and aren't shy about it. We also have powerful lights and I've got a camera.

So we're interested in knowing what your favorite spots are between Mexico and Monterey, maybe as far north as Santa Cruz.

So where should we go? Boat dives are an option so if you have favorite operators please include that. We're avid shore divers so don't leave those out either!

All advice is welcome!

Gilroy Scuba will hook you up with Sanctuary Charters. It's a six pack boat. Mike is a cool guy and will work with you.
Point Lobos, Monastary North and South are excellent dive spots from shore.
White Wall, Mono Lobo Wall, Otter cove are nice boat dives.
Monastary North will drop you into the canyon. Deep water for sure. Santa Cruz is good for surfing but not much diving. Point Lobos needs resevations.

Certainly Monterey, northern Channel Islands, Catalina, Laguna...

I have dove the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara. We dove with Truth Aquatics. Great diving!

sandeaters.org has a good list of sites along the coasts of LA and Orange Counties. Shorediving.com has a more global list of sites. Both of these miss the off shore sites. There is a sticky in the SoCal form for information on Catalina Island. The north channel islands are good too. As far as dive boats go I recommend the Magician, the Pacific Star and the Peace in Southern California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom