California Lake Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUMP! Reviving an old thread. First post here, but been diving for a while.
I'm headed to lake Topaz and lake Mono this weekend to scope them out. Will report back. Not sure if I'll be able to get wet, but I'll have my gear with me. I dove Tahoe once before in January, not much to see there and very cold. Nice thing about diving in Tahoe is you don't have to rinse your gear, water is very clean. Doing the Rubicon Wall next month.

I checked out lake Topaz and lake Mono. Topaz water level was way low. I'd say 10-15 feet low. It is a small lake and boaters were everywhere. Water was murky in some places but very clear in others. If water level comes back up it may be worth a dive.

Lake Mono is pretty much not diveable, though diving is allowed there. I spoke with a guide there and he said that the water is highly corrosive and human skin can only take so much of it. I imagine it would be bad for the gear as well. Water was clear and warm, it felt like soap on my hands. Very weird. There is a place where a fresh water creek runs into the lake, I think that would be a good place to dive as you can rinse off in the creek right after.

Next up: Saddle Bag Lake

I dove Lake Mohave. There is a bus, boat, scuba steve (skeleton with a treasure chest), and a buoyancy course in Cabin Site Cove. Warmish water and 30 foot visibility. Alot of boats though, so I surfaced very close to shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom