California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I had no idea which forum to post this in so this seemed as good as any. My wife and I are planning a trip to California this Summer (May) starting in Los Angeles and ending in San Diego. I have been doing some research but I have had a hard time finding a great place to dive. Everything I have read said Catalina Islands but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience their or had any suggestions. Oh and just so you know my wife gets very nervous in low visibility, I think I spoiled heer taking her to Jamaica for our first dive, so somewhere that has relatively consistent high visibility would be nice.

Thank you in advance
-Sammy

Avalon, Catalina HAS MY vote for great, cold water, kelp diving. Catalina Scuba Luv offers three tank dives, serving continental breakfast and lunch on a all day charter. Diving aboard the Spectre out of Ventura, Ca is a treat as well, again, cold water, kelp diving. We are talking great breakfast and BBQ tri-tip lunches aboard the Spectre. In San Diego, dive boats leave out of Mission Bay for the Yukon. Dive safe.

Welcome to :sblogo:!

Try posting in the California forum... Regional Travel and Dive Clubs - ScubaBoard
I'm sure they'll be able to give you some good suggestions.

Hope this helps and have fun diving!

I'm going to the Invasion. Are you?
Jump in with the rest of the crew while space is still available!

If the wife gets sketchy in low viz (10-15ft or less) then shore diving off the coast might not be your thing. I'll also suggest Catalina. Dive Park for easy day & night dives, or boat dives for some of the other sites.

Just be aware that most boats do not put a DM in the water and guide dives, so you will need to do your own nav. But honestly, there are only a few ways that Catalina boat dives go:
  • Jump in and head toward the kelp line (the reef will be below the kelp- it's holding on to the rocks) drop down and go left or right following the reef, reciprocate at turn pressure or time and come back.
  • Drop under boat (40-60ft) to the bottom and do the same as the above.

All divers without experience in cold, low vis waters should hire a DM or instructor for their first few (at least) California dives, even those in (to me) warm SoCal waters.

Unless you're used to diving with lots of neoprene and lots of lead, your buoyancy will be all shot to hell. Not to mention that many folks have trouble diving with thick hoods. Plus, low vis means that underwater comfort and navigation skills are essential.

I agree that best place for a Caifornia diving introduction is Catalina. I suggest that you and your wife do that as part of a specialty or AOW class.

All divers without experience in cold, low vis waters should hire a DM or instructor for their first few (at least) California dives, even those in (to me) warm SoCal waters.

Unless you're used to diving with lots of neoprene and lots of lead, your buoyancy will be all shot to hell. Not to mention that many folks have trouble diving with thick hoods. Plus, low vis means that underwater comfort and navigation skills are essential.

I agree that best place for a Caifornia diving introduction is Catalina. I suggest that you and your wife do that as part of a specialty or AOW class.

Read the above carefully. I would guess that your wife, at the least, is out of her depth, so to speak, in our waters, even the warmer ones in southern Cal. Your experience is not mentioned.

Diving here is absolutely nothing like the Caribbean. Currents can be quite strong at times, which means finding the anchor line to get back to the boat. If you miss it, prepare for a long drift and hope someone sees you. Have a tall safety sausage and air horn or such. There are of course quiet coves and such too.

High vis? Well sometimes it's pretty good, and sometimes it's pretty bad.. As mentioned, Cal divers are generally expected to be self-sufficient and experienced. Few rules, and no one watching over you, unless you explicitly arrange for such. Otherwise, there's lots of potential for a bad experience.

Not really vacation diving, but it can be quite spectacular in the Channel Islands.

..........Diving here is absolutely nothing like the Caribbean. Currents can be quite strong at times, which means finding the anchor line to get back to the boat. If you miss it, prepare for a long drift and hope someone sees you. Have a tall safety sausage and air horn or such. There are of course quiet coves and such too.

I think this is a bit strong- yes we can get currents, but "If you miss it, prepare for a long drift and hope someone sees you." is not really the case for the few hundred local dives I've done. The boats I dive are very good about trying to drop you where the current will have the least effect, keeping an eye on their divers, using drift lines, and covering the current patterns in the dive briefings. Yes, they will need to be prepared and pay attention, but I wouldn't be all psyched up for an "Open Water" experience either.

Back
Top Bottom