Camera lost in 2007 off Maui found in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZackSS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help us find owner of camera lost on Maui in 2007 that drifted t - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Lost camera, lost cause? Not necessarily. A camera that washed away on Maui in 2007 just turned up in Taiwan.That's where memories of Maui long lost at sea surfaced from their underwater grave.

Bruce Chen, General Manager of the China Airlines Honolulu Branch says an employee found "something strange" on a beach in Taiwan and took a closer look and realized "Oh this is a camera."
It was a Canon camera, covered in barnacles, with the memories, perfectly preserved inside.

"We checked the memory card and found lots of pictures" says Chen.

The pictures are from an August 2007 diving trip in Kaanapali, where perhaps, the camera drifted away, and the owner wrote it off as gone for good. Until it washed ashore five and a half years later, more than 62-hundred miles away, on the east coast of Taiwan.

A bit of a long shot, but anyone know that woman?

This is why it's agood idea to take a pic of a business card or something with your name and address on it and just leave it in memory...

Reminds me, I need to make a sticker with my address and contact info for the new UW housing..

21773470_BG1.JPG

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 06:00 PM ----------

21773470_BG3.jpg

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

21773470_BG4.jpg

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 06:04 PM ----------

Help us find owner of camera lost on Maui in 2007 that drifted t - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow)- Lost camera, lost cause? Not necessarily. A camera that washed away on Maui in 2007 just turned up in Taiwan.

That's where memories of Maui long lost at sea surfaced from their underwater grave.

Bruce Chen, General Manager of the China Airlines Honolulu Branch says an employee found "something strange" on a beach in Taiwan and took a closer look and realized "Oh this is a camera."

It was a Canon camera, covered in barnacles, with the memories, perfectly preserved inside.

"We checked the memory card and found lots of pictures" says Chen.

The pictures are from an August 2007 diving trip in Kaanapali, where perhaps, the camera drifted away, and the owner wrote it off as gone for good. Until it washed ashore five and a half years later, more than 62-hundred miles away, on the east coast of Taiwan.

In Chen's view, "I don't know how this camera goes to Taiwan but I believe it's God's arrangement."

A China Airlines employee found the camera on the beach in February. The airline has been trying to track down the owner, believed to be a young blond woman seen in many of the pictures.

"I am not sure if this lady is living in Hawaii or Mainland U.S. I don't know" says Chen.

The airline hopes someone who sees this story does know, and can give her the surprise of her life.

The owner has an open ticket from China Airlines to pick up the camera in person in Taiwan.

If you have any clue who she is, we'd love to know so those memories long gone can be returned and she can make new ones in Taiwan.

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now <http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com>. All rights reserved.

Hooray China Airlines!!!!

Great ad campaign for whoever made the housing.:dork2:

Also, would it be unacceptable for a mod to link to this thread in a more trafficked forum, like basic scuba. Its unlikely that the owner would be browsing Hawaii, or even Lost and Found hoping for news about a wayward camera from 5 years ago...

Also, would it be unacceptable for a mod to link to this thread in a more trafficked forum, like basic scuba. Its unlikely that the owner would be browsing Hawaii, or even Lost and Found hoping for news about a wayward camera from 5 years ago...
Good suggestion. Thread moved to Basic Scuba.

Send it to one of the national news networks. They love this kind of story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom