Camera Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CNTdiver

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding out where I should put my camera while not in use. I have not heard of a set "DIR" standard for this, but if anyone has any recommendations, that would be terrific. Thank you for your time.

I don't qualify as DIR, but I dive a Hog rig...

I clip it to the d-ring on the front of the crotchstrap... but my camera is slightly bouyant, so it doesn't hang down and beat up the coral. Makes it easy/quick to get at when that big ray or turtle swims by !

CNTdiver:
I am having trouble finding out where I should put my camera while not in use. I have not heard of a set "DIR" standard for this, but if anyone has any recommendations, that would be terrific. Thank you for your time.

CNT,

I dive with my camera all the time. I have deveolped a method of attachment that works for me. I have sewn a piece of 1" webbing (purchase a 7' roll at Walmart in the camping section) to the handle of my camera housing.

I then secured it to my right shoulder D ring with an inch and a quarter bolt snap. Adjust the webbing so that the camera will be no more than arm's length when you let it go. If you have to go vertical it will hang about at your waist.

When diving horizitional you will have it in your hands shooting or getting ready to shoot pictures. If you needed to deploy your long hose just release your camera and it will be out of our way. Just be sure and clip it underneath the long hose not on the top so it will not trap the hose. It does not interfere with any of my gear and I have traveled to a lot of places with this setup.

Jim
Louisiana

I'm pretty curious to hear what's DIR for a small camera. Currently I have a bolt snap tied to the camera housing and just clip it off to the right shoulder D-ring when I'm not using it. I'd clip it to the butt D-ring but I'm too afraid of smashing it when I get out of the water :wink:

BTW, re your sig, have you ever been mountaineering? I know a few guys who might take offense to your assessment of Everest :wink:

I read a thread the other day (can't remember if it was here or TDS) but MHK was saying he does pretty much what Jonnythan is doing....clips it off on his shoulder D-ring.

Jason

jonnythan:
BTW, re your sig, have you ever been mountaineering? I know a few guys who might take offense to your assessment of Everest :wink:

Me too.....but it is all for fun and games.

Alright, let's us say that I did in fact clip it off to the right d-ring.....my camera is a bit buoyant and will be clunking into my head, won't it? But I really do not see any other place to put it. Thanks for your input everyone.

Not to hijack your thread, but you should try it sometime. A simple hike up a mountain sounds pretty boring, but it's really pretty fun and it makes you feel pretty good about yourself :wink:

jonnythan:
Not to hijack your thread, but you should try it sometime. A simple hike up a mountain sounds pretty boring, but it's really pretty fun and it makes you feel pretty good about yourself :wink:

Yeah, I know it does.....I just wanted to compare the 2 "Mecas". Both great and I acknowledge that. :jump013:

CNTdiver:
Alright, let's us say that I did in fact clip it off to the right d-ring.....my camera is a bit buoyant and will be clunking into my head, won't it? But I really do not see any other place to put it. Thanks for your input everyone.
Not knowing your camera it's kind of hard to give a straight up answer, but....
1) I assume you have no tray/arm/strobe attached
2) If that is the case do you have a threaded hole in the bottom of the housing to mount a tray/arm/strobe
3) you can get weights that screw in here (can probably DIY on these)

Jason

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom