Camera Review Input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie,
Yes ebay has two. I did fond one from a company in Japan for too much $...$300.

DP Reviews is always a great place to get the scoop on digital cameras.

My wife and I have no intention of publishing pictures or becoming professionals. We just wanted a good camera for taking decent photos and movies both submerged and on land. We each have Casio Exilims. Casio makes UW housings good to 130 feet to exactly match the camera (you have to check Casio's website to see which models have the housings). My wife's camera is an older 5 megapixel, but it takes great shots and movies. I have a newer EX-Z1200 (12 megapixels) and the EWC-100 housing. Also great shots and movies. The camera uses SD cards. Total cost for camera and housing was about $400 (Paid $240 for new camera on e-bay and $150 for the housing online at 17th Street Photo Supply in New York).

Just another option to consider.

Im not sure how the price of the G7 is at the moment, but it might be a bit cheaper option to the G9. The G7 can also be modified to shoot raw fairly easy.

A couple of test shots from the G7
G7 preprocessed: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=93432
RAW processed in Photoshop CS3 by a n00b (me): http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=93431
The picture had to be reduced quite a lot in size before I could upload them as they for some reason dont allow 6 MB pic uploads here. Resized from 2736*3648 to 1024*1365

EDIT: Does the gallery do any processing to the pictures as you upload them? Opening those links in my browser the colors dont quite match the preview and photoshop colors..

I use the Casio as well and I really like it. Takes pretty good pics too. Especially up here in the PNW. The price is right as well.
Kirsten

I use the Casio as well and I really like it. Takes pretty good pics too. Especially up here in the PNW. The price is right as well.
Kirsten

What is the warranty on the Casio?

Buy a Canon "A" series. For example an A720IS (or a A570IS is you can find one) or one of the newer models and I don't think you will ever regret your purchase. Just make sure it is a model that has a housing available for it.

I owned the DX3000G and yes, it is no longer available but I thought it took great pictures (click on my "view gallery" link and view the pics taken in Cozumel for examples of pics taken with the 3000G). If you can get it at a great price it would be a good starter camera (in my opinion). The only problem that I can see is that if it floods you will not be able to get a replacement camera; however, my experience is that when the camera floods you will want to upgrade anyway. My 3000G did flood when I was on a trip to the Galapagos and I upgraded. If you get the 3000G and need a flash, i still have one that I can sell, I also have the 20mm wide angle lens that goes with the 3000G as well. If you want additional information email me at
jamescrew6@verizon.net.

Regards,

Bill

If you are wide open on your choice of cameras - I would say go find one that you like topside, and feel as though you could use while task-loaded, and then once you have a few choices, hit CNET or DCResource, and compare reviews on the models you narrowed down.

Someone suggested Canon A series cameras - they are amazing topside. Have not used any below 28', so can't say much, but the cameras themselves are spectacular.

Not a huge fan of Exilim cameras. Some love them, I just don't like the "style" of pictures that they produce.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom