Camera that shows a depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladabiel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everybody,
I'm sorry for maybe silly question. I miss the information about depth In most of UW videos. Does exist some camera or software, that can incorporate the detail about depth into movie (for example like some belt in right part of picture...like in airplanes:-D ). I think, it would be atractive in some situations...thanks for replies.

olympus tg-4 and ricoh wg-5 both record altitude / depth for stills. unsure what they do for video...

Are you talking about capturing the depth data automatically, or displaying depth information in the video, or both?

It is fairly simple, even with Microsoft's free Movie Maker software, to add text overlays on to an existing video, if you happen to know the depth. I would suggest that you use a dive computer with data-logging, combined with a camera that time-stamps the video. You could then manually add depth info into the video stream.

The easiest, as Murky Waters says, is to aim the camera at your dive computer for a few seconds at the beginning or end of your shots. You can just leave it in, or edit the video.

Some waterproof point-n-shoot cameras can sense and record pressure (aka depth/altitude), such as the Olympus TG-4 or Ricoh WG-5, as giffenk points out. However, they are only rated to 50ft, and 40ft respectively, which is somewhat limiting for many dives.

Any camera system that uses a waterproof housing, like most do, are not exposed to the actual pressures at depth, and therefore would not be able to record correct data. They would simply think they are at the surface the whole time.

I suppose it is possible for the housing-free models, like the Sealife Micro family, to add a pressure transducer that could record and even embed depth information.

The new TG Trekker Action camera from Olympus will do just that.

The new TG Trekker Action camera from Olympus will do just that.

Waterproof to 100ft. That's in the ballpark. Still, 200 ft is probably more practical (safety margin).

Back
Top Bottom