Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter did photography as part of her AOW last year and took cr@p photos primarily because she really did not know how to work the camera.

However with her own camera in a housing she takes reasonably good shots.

IMHO don't rent a camera unless you understand how it works first and try it above water.

Hmmm... Article says there are no good CHEAP cameras. Too bad...

:zen:

All things are relative. Compare my Canon PowerShot to some SLRs and their housings - my P&S seems real cheap!

I've had a cheap film camera for years and just used it recently. Pretty good, but then again I don't mind watching classic 1970s basketball game replays either. Question: It uses regular 35mm film. Is that still or will it be around much anymore?

The GoPro is an excellent, relatively inexpensive choice. When you factor in that you can use it elsewhere and reuse it and don't have to develop film, it will fairly quickly make up the difference with multiple reusable cameras. I do not recommend the head strap, as it does interfere with the mask and my cohorts have seen more than one lost off the head, either at the surface on in a current. I used it once and was not happy. It also places the camera close to the bubble stream and you pick up a lot of bubble and regulator noise.

On the other hand, I bought the wrist mount and was extremely pleased. At first glance, it may not be intuitive how the wrist strap could work, especially when sitting at the computer and imagining the sideways positioning of the camera could possibly work. However, when underwater, if you swim with your arms crossed at your chest, the camera points in the perfect direction. Rotating the camera on your wrist is enough to get the perfect framing. You will have to keep in mind that it is on your wrist when signaling your buddy. That may dictate which wrist you put it on or which hand you use to signal.

If you get the GoPro, I would recommend the wrist housing and installing a flat lens solution on that housing. I went with the BlurFix and the red filter they sell. That leaves my other housings stock and I now have a dedicated underwater housing.

Finally, the best thing about the GoPro for me is that it is a set it and forget it piece of equipment. I'm capturing video during my dive, but I'm not impeded in any way and both hands are free.

We just bought this one Buy Intova IC14 Camera & Housing Kit Online in Australia - Digital Diver - very easy to use, there are attachments that we can buy to add to it (red filter / strobe etc) and it came with the housing rated to 54 metres (180 feet). Quality is ok - obviously not professional quality, but for less than $400AUD, you get what you pay for! Here's a couple of sample pics that we took using it...

PICT0091.jpgPICT0125.jpgPICT01462.jpgPICT0098.jpg

Hi,
Need some advice on cameras. I am very experienced with my Nikonos V. I have multiple lenses, macro set up, Strobe, etc. Tons of dives and lots of wildlife pics. Well, 12 years have gone by and I am now retired and I have a 12 yo son. This summer is learn to Dive summer. Swimming and diving culminating with a vaca to Cozumel in January. Besides gear, my thoughts go to my camera set up. I took a look at what is offered for Digital underwater and I am not impressed. There doesn't seem to be anything that is as easy to use as a Nikonos V. Certainly nothing under $2K and they are all in a housing. I would have thought there would be a Nikonos digital by now, but who focuses a digital camera?

Are all my lenses and equipment now for nothing? Nikonos gear is still selling for good money on eBay. Can you please point me in the direction I should be looking, or let me know if I should stick with 35mm to get the shots that make the cover.

Is there a camera out there that is going to give me what I want without spending $3000. Wide angle lenses, Zoom, Macro. Or am I stuck with 35mm? I would love to be able to swap out the camera and keep the lenses and their easy use knobs....
Help!

I will always carry my camera with me just in case. If conditions are less than ideal, it will stay in my BC pocket, but at least I have it.

The good news with the GoPro Hero 3 is that you no longer have to buy an extra housing just for diving.

I have yet to try my gopro for pictures but the video it takes is pretty amazing. I've found that for the most part I don't need to use a red lens either (I've taken video down to around 70 feet) if I shoot video in protune/RAW mode. The gopro cineform studio does a nice job of letting me color correct and then if I'm not happy after I import it to IMovie I can tweak it some more but in the little video I've done this hasn't been necessary. Really gopro cineform does a great job of color correction. Pictures on land are pretty amazing within the limitations of the one lens / no zoom but then again the closer the better.

I have another trip planned for the first of June on a Blackbeard’s live aboard and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on an economical camera that is relatively idiot proof. I'm not looking to take professional quality photos. Just need some photos that I can share with family and friends back home without them having to try to hard to figure what’s in the photo. Before anyone suggests it I am already looking for an above water photography class.
You really have two choices. Bite the bullet and spend money on something that maybe you will regret buying or go a cheap route and upgrade later. By cheap, I mean Ebay or here on ScubaBoard. There are a number of camera models that are pretty good and only a few years old (my own Canon A570is is one) that probably can be found for a low price, new or used. Same with an underwater case specific for the camera. Get started inexpensively and latter spend more on a rig that you determine to be closer to your needs. In the short term, you will be able to take some pretty decent photos without a really major outlay of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom