Can A Headlamp Also Be Used As The Best Wrist Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Thanks to Randall Spangler for sharing his informative opinion about the Orcatorch TD01 based on his real-life experience! 😎👍

" First off, the basics:

- White spotlight is just as bright as all my other 1200 lumen lights. Two brightness levels. A little bit wider spot, with a pretty evenly-lit center.

- Red floodlights on either side. Really handy for gearing up at night, or lighting up the stairs on the way down to the beach for a night dive without destroying your night vision. Red also won't scare lobsters and crab, so it'd be a great light during lobster hunting season. Also has two brightness levels, which is nice; most lights with red only have one.

- Standard 18650 battery size, and it's one of the new ones which can charge directly from a USB cable instead of needing a charger. (It charges just fine in a charger too, but you don't *need* one.)

- Solid metal construction, and waterproof farther down than I'll ever go (double O-rings)

- Standard action camera mount, so it works with a wide range of mounting options (more on this later)

- Comes with a head strap.

- Comes with some other mount which is apparently standard for helmets. But there's a hidden surprise: if you unscrew the mount, the top half is an action camera 1/4" tripod mount. Which means it'll fit even more places.

- Tiny. Look at the overhead shot of this vs. another 1200 lumen light to get a sense of just has small this thing is.

Now, here's what surprised me. It's actually a really good HAND-mount light.

Normally, you can't wear a dive light on the same hand as your dive computer, because the light is so long it bumps into the computer. But this light mounts the battery sideways, so it's incredibly short. I tried it on a cheap action camera hand grip I had lying around. And it's great; it doesn't bump into the computer at all. The knob control for the wrist light is easy to reach with the other hand, and can be mounted either orientation so it works for lefties as well. And every other 18650-size wrist light I own only has a white spot. By turning the battery sideways, this finds room for two red LEDs as well.

It'd also be useful as a headlight for my DPV. Bright enough, will fit the action camera mount I already have, and it won't stick out the side or front where it'll catch on kelp. But my wife has claimed this one as her new favorite hand-mount light, so I'm going to need to get a second one..."

👉Click here to see more details on Amazon
🔦

Orcatorch D550 (2).jpg

orcatorch td01 dive headlamp.jpg

orcatorch td01 & orcatorch d550.jpg

td01.jpg

photo by Zj Whitrock.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom