Question Can any regulator be o2 cleaned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously I’m not talking about turds, cars, pots, pans, etc…this is a scuba based forum 🤯

For future readers, I got this response from Airtech scuba regarding my regs:

“As per the manufacturer, the Aqualung Titan regulator you have is only suitable for use up to 40%.

Same with the Scubapro MK10/G250, it’s only suitable for use up to 40% as well.

Neither models can be O2 cleaned as per the manufacturer for use over 40%.”

@Angelo Farina do you think this is a response just for liability either from the manufacturer or repair center?
Probably they do not have access to the original SP 100% Oxygen conversion kits.
Are they an offcial Scubapro service point?
As said, for the Mk10 the conversion kit is (was) officially available, and the code number was posted here before.
People doing service autonomously usually prefer to source the Viton O-rings from a local supplier of technical parts.

And if you also clean the valve of the cylinder, AP diving has the normal NBR Oring in their oxygencompatible kit to be used between valve and cylinder. Sometimes it is a discussion here that viton must be used, but viton is only in 85 shore available and for high pressure you need 90 shore.

EPDM Orings are not available in 90 shore and some parts of the first stage need Orings that are suited for high pressure. So viton of 85 will work, but epdm is too soft.

Probably they do not have access to the original SP 100% Oxygen conversion kits.
Are they an offcial Scubapro service point?
As said, for the Mk10 the conversion kit is (was) officially available, and the code number was posted here before.
People doing service autonomously usually prefer to source the Viton O-rings from a local supplier of technical parts.
those SP kits were sold as nitorx conversion kits, not 100% oxygen service kits, even if sales reps were telling you was Ok to use for

those SP kits were sold as nitorx conversion kits, not 100% oxygen service kits, even if sales reps were telling you was Ok to use for

That is indeed correct, specifically they said it was OK up to 40%.

However, they did change all O-Rings to FKM, as well as the seat. The seat is exactly the same as you would now find in the MK25 EVO Nitrox which is OK to use for 100% O2.

I believe ScubaPro was just covering their bases. Back then, Nitrox and O2 was still demonized.

Attachments

• MK9 & MK10 - Nitrox Conversion (1993).pdf
    390.4 KB · Views: 36

However, they did change all O-Rings to FKM, as well as the seat. The seat is exactly the same as you would now find in the MK25 EVO Nitrox which is OK to use for 100% O2.

I believe ScubaPro was just covering their bases. Back then, Nitrox and O2 was still demonized.
Doesn't change that no scuba regulators are designed using best practices, materials, engineering for 100% high pressure oxygen use that the gas industry follow.

Love the name 😁

deleted

One of my SP Mk 10 (+ BA) regulators is/was a dedicated oxygen scuba regulator. At one time, SP offered a kit that converted a Mk 10 to a oxygen compatible reg. After you disassembled and thoroughly cleaned your Mk 10 (I degreased mine using Simple Green), you switched-in the oxygen-compaible soft parts (HP seat, HP O-rings, etc.) from the kit, using oxygen-compatible grease for lube, when you reassembled the Mk 10. Easy-peasy.

rx7diver
Is this the o2 conversion/rebuild kit? SCUBAPRO MK-5 or MK-10 Viton Rebuild Kit 27 pieces including H.P. Seats, Filter. | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom