Can anybody give me a report on Puerta Vallarta or Acapulco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
GEEZ GUYS! It's been forever since I posted here. I was thinking about getting back down to Mexico this summer and I really would to go somewhere new to me. Anyone ever been to Vallarta or Acapulco? Is diving good there? I know Coz is better, but I want to try somewhere new! Don't know anyone who's ever been to either place so just wondering if they're fun!
Thanks guys!!! ~ AMBER ~

Amber,

The diving is not the greatest in Puerta Vallarta, but if you are looking for non diving activities, there is lots to do in the area.
You should check out http://www.casaamorita.com/ It is a good place to stay, and the owner Rita, will give you lots of information about the area. The owner is my xwife.

Good luck,
mike

Here's my last TR on PV:

"PV charming & romantic with lots of good places to eat (Cafe des Artistes highly recommended) & drink - not a dedicated diving destination. I trust you appreciate how different this Pacific coast diving is than Caribbean diving. Little coral, no sponge or vegetation, cool water, rocky/volcanic/sand bottom & good marine life, e.g., varieties of butterfly fish & surgeon fish far exceed that off eastern Yucatan. There is a possibility to see a manta, though unlikely.

If you want to dive & are inexperienced to modestly experienced:

Twin Dolphins (www.twindolphins.com.mx or www.twindolphinspv.com).

Chico's (www.chicos-diveshop.com).

Vallarta Adventures. Usually do not respond to outside inquiries. Just visit the shop when you get there. Runs fun party boat to Marietas Islands. Continental b'fast, open bar from around 11:00AM on, & snorkeling or 2 tank dive upon arrival. Boat holds upwards of 80 people. Diving on this trip can be unsafe. If you want to dive with them, do it from one of their smaller boats.

You'll want to dive Chimo, El Morro & El Morrito, where mantas are a possibility.

If you are an experienced diver who doesn't mind ~30 mile trip into the ocean, go to La Corbatenia with Mario Zornoza, "Vallarta Divers," Marina Del Rey #17, Marina Vallarta (322)1-04-92, email: vtadiver@tag.acnet.net.

Do be sure & inquire where any shops' marina (there are a couple) is relative to your hotel. This can be some distance & the dive shops usually do not include this transfer."

You may also wish want see the threads from the recent archives on PV, such as this one--->

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7730&highlight=puerto+vallarta

I haven't been to Acapulco in many years, but do get regular reports on it. It is a beautiful area with many fine resorts, restautrants & shops, but the diving is not generally recommended. Vis is poor, bacteria counts high & the better spots can have strong/risky currents.

Bottom line on both: Super topside, but so-so diving. PV best diving, AC best topside.

Hope this was helpful.

DocVikingo

I was in PVR in early Feb. We (4 kids-2 adults)had a real nice time topside. DocVikingo is right about the diving. We were not expecting much & so we were not disappointed. We dove w/ Vallarta Adventures in Nuevo Vallarta. We actually booked the Whale/Dolphin trip & f/ an extra $7 U.S. we got a 1 tank dive. For $14 we could have done 2 tanks, but the kids would have had to stay on the boat w/ a crew member, while everyone else got to go to the island. On the 1st dive the kids snorkeled a little bit & then had lunch on the boat, with all the non-divers, while we were diving. So that was ok. This was more of a family excursion, rather than the party boat/booze cruise crowd. So it was not a rowdy group. There were about 20 people who wanted to dive, so they broke us down into groups of 4 divers per DM. No problems w/ the diving, except vis is poor & there's not alot to see. Never been to Acapulco-can't help you there.

I went to PV a year ago last March, (wanted some place different)I was amazed that the price were higher and the diving just so so. I prefered Sothern California, but the water is a little warmer in PV. I think I would like to try Ensanada, or San Carlos some time, but not in the winter.
Also be aware in PV I believe that it is the time share capitol of the world. They get their training from telesolicitors that lost their jobs because of the new no-call lists. Ha!!
:froggy: :froggy:

They are brutal. The 90 minute presentation becomes the 4 hour midevil torture. (think S & M, but they've taken all the fun out of it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom