Can anyone identify this Zeagle BCD model and possibly year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saridnour

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone identify this Zeagle BCD model and possibly year?

Was thinking it was the Concept I but it has the Ripcord and read it used a different Velcro type. Also the shoulder straps looked more like the old ranger style with the ribs. Also the O rings are actually plastic triangle rings. It just didn't match up in its entirety to any one BCD photo I could find to match the model.

Was my dads and am thinking would be nice to dive with his old BCD once fixed up.

Thanks,
saridnour

1s.JPG

Larger imge: http://saridnour.homedns.org/temp/Zeagle/1.JPG

2s.JPG

larger image: http://saridnour.homedns.org/temp/Zeagle/2.JPG

its been a while since I've fondled one but I believe thats an old 'tech' bcd

The rings I am talking about are the attachment rings that are now all steel. This just happens to use plastic and are triangular vs round as depicted in the pictures.

I thought it looked older but then the ripcord system was there vs the older systems so again made me wonder as I thought ripcord was not on the oldest ones?

This suffered the detached bladder to hose issue that, after reading here, seems to be a defect in it's design? Is this bladder/hose repairable or replaceable? If so how do we correct it or what does it cost to get it replaced? My dad was the original owner I believe (he is no longer with us and why I'm seeking info) and its been sitting for years due to the hose detaching. Been on my to do list for some time.

Its still in great shape other than the bladder and would like to use it if possible, practical & safe!

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks again,
saridnour

The rings I am talking about are the attachment rings that are now all steel. This just happens to use plastic and are triangular vs round as depicted in the pictures.

Ooooooh okay, now we're on the same page. When you said O-rings I thought we were discussing the internal parts of the inflator. Yes, those attachment points (D-rings) went through a few changes as we tried different materials, vendors and styles. The triangular style is what is making me think its from the late 80s. I still need to go look through my catalogs, kinda tied up back here in the reg room working on a huge order.

Is this bladder/hose repairable or replaceable? If so how do we correct it or what does it cost to get it replaced?

Yep, we can fix that. You'll want to contact Susan in our Service Department (service@zeagle.com) and she can quote you the cost and timeline for getting that bladder upgraded. We do not have the elbow style bladders any longer, but an upgrade is available to your bladder assembly that brings it up to snuff. Please note that I'm saying this without having really examining your bladder assembly or consulting with Susan to make sure there isn't some situation with this particular BC that excludes it from our normal repair procedures, you'll want to confirm all of this with her.

Its still in great shape other than the bladder and would like to use it if possible, practical & safe!

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks again,
saridnour

It wouldn't hurt to have us look over the whole BC while its in here for the bladder to make sure everything is in tip-top shape. Having been sitting for a significant length of time means that the rubber portions are probably dry-rotted and will need to be replaced. Susan has done some pretty amazing things with old BCs, I'm certain you'll love the work she can do for your BC. :D

email sent... thanks. Still open to feedback on if this is worth fixing or not??

Oh it probably is. We made those old BCs like tanks, I'm sure structurally its fine. I've seen plenty from that era come back for service and go right back out again. One of these days I'd like to get a little contest going to see who has our oldest BC and collect some pictures.

That would be a pretty cool promo.. set it up for your 40th anniversary and find the most ancient working Zeagle BCs regs and what nots.. Do a good trade in and feature the "Zeagle retro dive" on the company site. :) Would be cool to see gear from the public that's still in use to show the quality you all have put into it. Just don't dive the old bladders.. lol :wink:

I got my email out to Susan so just waiting to see if she can identify it from the pic as well as ascertain any idea of what can or cant be done with it. Know its not old enough for your retro promo, but still curious of its vintage.

-saridnour

Good morning Saridnour, I went looking through my catalogs and I think I found your model/year. Its actually not as old as I thought, probably a 1994 Concept BC

Concept-BC-1997.jpg

The picture above is our 1997 catalog Concept BC. No exterior utility pockets, the bladder clips directly to the vest, plastic D-rings used throughout, cloth patches, etc etc. Style-wise I think we're dead on and I believe a close date. Those pleated shoulders and triangular D-rings lead me to believe 1994 is the vintage.

Saridnour and Jeffzeagle, I recently picked up a BC off craigslist that looks like it fits this description to a T, I was wondering if you guys have any news on the repair?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom