Can anyone refer a good Key Largo AOW instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ceverett

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,

Being from Texas, all of my dive instruction has been in murky green lakes. I've decided I'd much rather do my Advanced Scuba course somewhere with water a little more blue in hue. To that end, I've decided that Key Largo should fit the bill nicely and am looking to get into a course in the Mid-February timeframe.

Does anyone have either a shop or instructor in Key Largo that they'd recommend for Advanced instruction? I'm somewhat partial to NAUI, but could go either way.

I did a little poking around on the boards, and two names that came up where Silent World and Capt. Slates. Has anyone taken classes with either of these outfits that would care to share?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.

I had an instructor for a guide with Scuba Do. Good dive op and try to get Pam for the instructor. Very friendly, extremly professional and a very conservative diver. She insists on safety.

I've referred several people to Brent Hilliard at BlueWater Divers (www.bluewaterdiver.net), and I've been thanked each time. I'm an instructor myself, and he is one of the best I've ever seen. Patient, incredibly thorough, safety conscious, and easy to understand. I don't know that this is guaranteed, but I've never seen him teach a class with more than 2 people.

As an instructor in Central Florida, I recommend Florida Keys Dive Center in Tavernier Key just about 9 miles south of Key Largo.

The Course Director there is Jason and is a fun guy, great dive enthusiest, and PADI's youngest course Director ever. Of that was a few years ago and hundreds of dives now later is running a very successful IDC 5 Star facility.

And the diving is excellent nearly year round.

www.floridakeysdivectr.com/ Tell him Kevin Tolbert sent you.

Hey...
I just got my Nitrox Certification from Conch Republic Divers.
http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com
Gary and Brenda run a solid company, and I dove with them for three weeks, Dec 19th 2005 through Jan 7th 2006.
Took lots of underwater photos that came out amazing.
My husband got the moneyshot, with a Banded Shrimp performing "Dentist Duties" for a massively large Green Morey Eel. There were a couple little blue and black striped cleaner fish on the guy too. Just an excellent couple shots... oops, I digress...LOL!
Anyhoo... CRD has an Excellent Crew.
Ask for "Dean" on the Course Certification. He's a great instructor.
He knows how to help assist those who aren't as 'Science Gifted' on those tables and other features of Nitrox diving...
I'm thrilled with my new certification. Can't wait to enjoy more Nitrox diving!!
Good Luck!
Anastacia:)*

You can also PM Captain Gary from Conch Republic to discuss on here. Otherwise check out the website mentioned above. I will be diving with them in a week!!

BlueWaterDivers.

I've not taken instruction from him, but have dove with him. He is very aware of his buddy. He noticed that I had air trapped in my BC when we were about to ascend on one dive. He new my PSI without asking during both dives (he just looked I guess, but never once did he grab my spg). His boat is nice, and they don't do crowds. I'm very positive he would make your AOW dives fun, and worthwhile.

He maybe a bit more expensive than others, but I'd bet that you would get a LOT of personal attention. The last thing you want in AOW is to be in a big class that just runs you through the drills with little discussion and interaction with the instructors. Unfortunately I think that is very often the case, however this comment is not directed at any of the OPS in the Keys, but more a generall observation.

Yes, I would also recommend Bluewater Divers of Key Largo. They run a nice sized boat that holds 10 divers. Sally works on their boat if someone requests her. She guided me on the Duane and Speigal Grove last summer. She would be an excellent instructor for AOW.

Tim
Fort Myers Beach, FL:14:

I also vote for Brent, from Bluewater, I got my AOW, Rescue, MSD, & DM from him.
He is a GREAT teacher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom