Can I get bent in a pool? Terrible pain in my joints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wozzer:
In other countries, you likely would not be allowed to have a CT or MRI. If we switch to socialized medicine, people won't be getting MRI's for 2/10 wrist pain anymore :)
Thats straight up a load of BS :no

Harley, I hope you get the medical attention you need and a doctor that takes this matter serious. Get well soon

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Could you please tell me where I can bill someone 800 dollars for an office visit to tell them they have a pinched nerve...I'd like to move there. In Pennsylvania, I get about sixty dollars to do that from the best payers and about 10 bucks or nothing at all for many.

Back on point, I agree that DCS in this profile seems unlikely.
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing!!:rofl3:

harleyxx:
Went to the Doc Waited for two hrs before he saw me. He talked to me for 5 min and sent me for blood tests. He also ruled out DCI. I 'm glad for that. He didn't offer any possible causes, when I asked he said he didn't know, but to come back in a week, or go to the ER if it got worse.

I'm thinking bacterial infection from the pool. Cant walk now, have to hop on one leg.
I feel great otherwise. No fever, no headache, Blood Pressure is OK. Just pain in every joint from my shoulder to my ankle.

It looks like this probably has nothing to do with diving. Thanks for all the suggestions & comments. I hope it goes away so I can get back in the water soon. Sat I bought my Daughter a new Regulator, gauges...ect. She was going to take her Nitrox course today but she came to the Doc with me instead. What a good girl.
I think you should head to the ER. This is beginning to sound very ominous and I'm not convinced your doctor took it seriously enough. When does he get the blood tests back? Hope he sent the CBC and ESR stat to get back same day. Otherwise, yikes!! With the way this is going, I'd say infection is first on my list.

harleyxx:
I feel like a dweeb for calling Dan now. But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know it all. If I'm going to get bent I sure don't want it to be in my own pool!
When I called Dan, they were very helpful.

You absolutely and positively did the right thing. Hope you get better soon.

I really hope u went to a doctor. I have a number of cases where they said nothing was wrong but people were persistant and that saved them.
Jus to let u know, just had ottis..after 14 dazs went to alocal doctor at the palce where I was staying for my holidays..he said of course I can dive, just protect your ear and put sth in it.
this clearly shows how much they know about diving in general. Being bent in a pool is also possible...I was diving for 75 min on air 3 m deepest and was so exhausted afterwords...never felt like that..first symptom..
the bottom line is u never know, dont rely on what somebody says, insist on a proper check up!

Thinking about U!

THe Doc said that the blood tests would be back in a week. No I did not go to the ER. Last night I was unable to put any presure on my right ankle or even rotate it because of the pain. But this morning all the pain in my ankle and right hand were gone, now they are just a little stiff. The right shoulder feels a lot better too, minor pain when I raise my arms up, but nothing like before.
So far, I seem to have intense pain & swelling for a day or two followed by minor pain & stiffness.
I have not gone to the ER. I will if it gets bad again. But right now I can deal with it.

One thing is still nagging me. I did not analyze my own air after it was filled. I don't have my own analyzer and I forgot to do it when it was filled the day before we dove in the pool.
I know its my responsibility but I just forgot.
I'm going to get it analyzed tomorrow just to satisfy my curiosity.

Your right, the Doctor did not take me seriously. He only checked my Blood pressure & my temperature, no real physical exam. I am going to call Monday morning to see if he can speed up the test results. I need to know what is causing this so I can get back to my normal life.
I know this is not a forum for general medical discussion that is not Dive related, and I don't want to take up any more bandwith or whatever you call it if it is not related to our pool dive. If the air Analysis checks out then I will at least have eliminated diving as a factor. I also don't want to make anyone unduly concerned about diving in general. there are enough real risks without adding wierd medical problems that may not even be related.
I thank all of you for your concern.
I hope my next post will be a dive report.

Okay, I'll be honest, I have not read the entire thread but I would like to relate what happened to me. I did a shallow water dive, down about an hour w/ max depth being 12 feet. Next day, hip hurts, I figure I'm just old. Then it travels to the knee & then on down to my foot. I too called DAN after several days because , although I didn't believe I could be bent after such a shallow dive, I couldn't figure out what was happening. Wonderful folks at DAN. Never be afraid to call them because you think you are being silly. Anyway, ended up, I had a case of shingles. Totally unrelated to my dive.

harleyxx:
One thing is still nagging me. I did not analyze my own air after it was filled. I don't have my own analyzer and I forgot to do it when it was filled the day before we dove in the pool.
I know its my responsibility but I just forgot.
I'm going to get it analyzed tomorrow just to satisfy my curiosity.
What are you going to test the air for?

Back
Top Bottom