Can I vent a little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I am sick and fricking tired of this boring azz job I have. Same ole routine every darn day. The weather up her sucks, it was 70 last week and now there is fricking snow on the ground. What gives?

I make decent money for being in the IT field, but am I really happy? What the heck can I do? Up and move to some Caribbean place and be a DM or an instructor? Hmm, - much lower pay, + get to dive a lot, + nice climate (barring no hurricanes), - family/friends are thousands of miles away, - Carrie probably wouldnt be happy for very long..then again I might not be either. :(

Light turns green and if your car doesn't move in a half second then your gonna have 20 fricking people honking at you...it just cant be healthy up here.....dont you think living in a nice, tropical, laid back environment could add years on to ones life? I sure think so!

I'm 26yrs young, wanting to do something with myself. I feel like just another robot in corporate America.

:banging:

I feel your pain. Hey, anyone who lives in Spain need a biologist on staff? I am very well-behaved, and don't bark much.

I hear ya. Northern California is supposed to be super laid back, long haired, pot smoken duuuuudes.

Wrong, everyone is completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people here. Grocery store, freeway, doesn't matter - I'm going to just stop in the middle and block everyone around me because I'm the only one that matters.

I'm in IT too and for being in the silicon valley, I work with mutants that should not be allowed to even look at a computer, much less work on one.

There has to be a better life somewhere. I'm ready to go air brush t-shirts in a beach somewhere.

I am a bit older but I have the same thoughts. It is snowing outside and after a wonderful dive yesterday. My wife is returning after her spring break in Ft. Myers, FL. with her family and she is depressed too about the snow today.

My hope is I will be allowed to live long enough to do nothing but teach diving and dive. In a place where snow and cold are only forgotten words.

A couple of comments...

At 26 you likely haven't felt the full impact of it yet.

Teaching diving, especially in a resort setting is no way to NOT feel like a robot. Diving can become work like anything else and can be fairly stressful at that.

My advice...
Put in your time, make the best of it, invest your money and retire early. Then you can do what you want.

I hear ya Mike, but if your telling me I am going to feel like a robot no matter where I go, then I might as well be a robot in a nice place....unlike Indiana, unlike Illinois....etc etc

I think we've all been there several different times in life. I work for the same company that I got hired from right out of school. Our company is global, and I'm just a number somewhere in the snow of Canada. I'm pretty sure I could find employment almost anywhere, but now I've got roots here that would be hard to break.
My advice: go for it man. You'll never know if you could have made it at the tropical locale of your choice by sitting in Chicago staring out the window or a your computer screen......

Besides, if you fail miserably and have to come back, whats the shame in that? At least you had an adventure and hopefully, some memories.....

SS

been there and done that (chucked it all, because a DM then instructor, then captain in "paradise") I can tell you with certainty that Mike is right.

Agreed, by all means, move somewhere warmer but don't move to a job that pays dog poop wages, offers long hours of hard work, usually 6 days a week, which will eventually take diving off of the list of activities you enjoy, etc.

There's plenty of good jobs in Miami, LA, etc. Make money, have time to spend it.

WW

Have the best of both worlds...IT on the ocean. :D

All kidding aside...every job has it's ups and downs, but for right now I really like the scenery where I am <grin> I kinda get the best of both worlds, I haven't quite thrown it all away to be a DM, but I still get to dive in great places every week.

Peace,
Cathie

jepuskar once bubbled...
I hear ya Mike, but if your telling me I am going to feel like a robot no matter where I go, then I might as well be a robot in a nice place....unlike Indiana, unlike Illinois....etc etc

there are career changes that can increase the interest without reducing income to almost zero. Some jobs that pay well are a drag but ALL JOBS that don't are a drag.

I love N. Florida and often think of moving there. I just don't know a way to make any money there. I was in EE in January and got talking with a guy who works there. He's from Indiana. He lost or left his job and moved down there so he could cave dive all the time. He even got involved with the WKPP. Now he has to worry about paying the rent and eating. In his off time I think he mostly carries tanks (supposition). LOL With what he makes it would take all week to buy the gas for one decent dive and he can't go for dinner and drinks afterward.

I may only get to N. Florida a few times a year but when I do...I dive when I want, eat what I want, drink what I want...no worries. And I don't carry anyone elses tanks.

Back
Top Bottom